Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area.

No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area. 9 months 6 days ago #8047

• Terry
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

More a feature request than a Bug, but I have found there is no Contact Us page or way to request help from anyone at joomla.org.au if you are unable to login and post something in this Forum. In my case I am not receiving the email to reset my password and after trying to fix it on and off over the past few months I have given up but today I eventually persisted and Tim via Patrick helped me get back here.

A simple Contact Form would have made the experience a lot easier than contacting people via their work addresses.

Another option is to have a 'Public Post' board on the forum where people who are unable to login or don't want to register to another Forum for what might be a single post can make a post that needs approval to be seen. I set one of these up on a vehicle based Forum running on Kunena and all posts need to be approved before they are visible and with a Captcha we have only had 2-3 spam posts in over 12 months.

Any of the moderators can see the posts and they either deal with the person directly if it is an issue not relevant to be made public or if it is a For Sale or Help Wanted type advert they move it to the appropriate board and make it visible. It opened up their board to people who aren't looking to join another community and opportunities that might otherwise of not been made if the submitter had to register while it has been a soft entry for some people who have joined up after a couple of public posts got a friendly response.

Terry
Been working with Joomla for Fun and Work for 10 years.
Last Edit: 9 months 6 days ago by Terry.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozneilau

No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area. 9 months 5 days ago #8048

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Thank you received: 20
Terry wrote:
More a feature request than a bug, but I have found there is no Contact Us page or way to request help from anyone at joomla.org.au if you are unable to login and post something in this Forum.
Hmmm ... I'm not sure why you weren't able to receive emails from this site unless, perhaps, your email address was wrong, your incoming mail server was "broken" or it was rejecting mail from this site, or perhaps the mail was being deposited into your "spam mail" folder.
Terry wrote:
A simple Contact Form would have made the experience a lot easier than contacting people via their work addresses.
Understandable but, in spite of all the "usual" mechanisms that can be employed to prevent the abuse of contact forms, most of the time the requests received via a contact form are "nuisance calls". I realise that's a generalisation but it's also a fact of life.
Terry wrote:
Another option is to have a 'Public Post' board on the forum where people who are unable to login or don't want to register ...
This site's terms of use requires people to register (and to validate their registration) before they can post on the forum. In most other respects, however, the forum is available to the public Understandably, this site is primarily dedicated to people who live in Australia (and includes New Zealand) although this policy is not rigidly enforced. Bearing this in mind, opening the forum (or one part of the forum) to anyone, anywhere in the world, who don't like the terms of use as they currently exist, would probably create more problems for site content moderation.
Terry wrote:
Any of the moderators can see the posts and they either deal with the person directly ...
Again, the terms of use apply to forum moderators as well as to other users. Generally-speaking, material posted on the forum is on public display; there is not, for example, a "private messaging" facility. It is also possible for some parts of forum topics to be hidden from people who have not logged-in thereby adding a further layer of privacy.

My personal comments notwithstanding, we appreciate your feedback and help to grow the Joomla community in Australia. Thanks.
Read my blog and

No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area. 9 months 13 hours ago #8053

• Terry
  • Fresh Boarder
Hmmm ... I'm not sure why you weren't able to receive emails from this site unless, perhaps, your email address was wrong, your incoming mail server was "broken" or it was rejecting mail from this site, or perhaps the mail was being deposited into your "spam mail" folder.

I tried different user accounts, one existing and a new one, with email addresses on different servers with different hosts using different clients with POP and IMAP and nothing showed up. I tried all the combinations I could think of to see if something would come through.

Terry

Ps. even the notification to say there had been a reply to my original post never showed up.
Last Edit: 9 months 13 hours ago by Terry.

No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area. 9 months 11 hours ago #8054

• manuman
  • Thank you received: 18
I'll have a look through server logs and see what I find. Do you have approximate last time you tried ?
Co-Founder of Joomla!
CTO/Web Architect - Elastik Space elastik.space / Elastik Digital elastik.digital
Last Edit: 9 months 11 hours ago by manuman.

No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area. 9 months 6 hours ago #8055

• Terry
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

afternoon of the 13th December was when I tried resetting the password, a new account and 'forgot my username'.

or at the time of your post I expect it should have sent me a notification email as I am subscribed to this thread.

I also had a look through my email server logs for today and the 13th and nothing has been received there either for the email address associated with this username.

Thanks,
Terry
Last Edit: 9 months 5 hours ago by Terry. Reason: update info about checking server logs.

No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area. 8 months 4 weeks ago #8058

• manuman
OK I'll have a look through this evening (at work ATM).

Cheers
Shayne
Co-Founder of Joomla!
CTO/Web Architect - Elastik Space elastik.space / Elastik Digital elastik.digital

No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area. 8 months 4 weeks ago #8061

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
Terry wrote:
I expect[ed to receive] ... a notification email as I am subscribed to this thread.
Likewise. I, too, am subscribed to this topic and I did not receive an notification of the reply also. Evidently there's something suspicious in the way this website is handling email. I have noticed a few problems recently, perhaps as the results of changes made behind the scenes, but I'm at a loss to explain them.

I checked and double-checked my own email address and I confirmed that the account had not been blacklisted anywhere.
manuman wrote:
... I'll have a look through ...
Anything discovered? B)
Read my blog and

No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area. 8 months 4 weeks ago #8063

• manuman
I'm getting all notification including to the fact replies had been made here.

@sozzled did you check joomla.org.au on blacklists?

I'll also double check SPF is done right incase receiving servers are rejecting it.
Co-Founder of Joomla!

No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area. 8 months 4 weeks ago #8066

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
manuman wrote:
I'm getting all notification including to the fact replies had been made here.
Sorry, but I'm not.
manuman wrote:
@sozzled did you check joomla.org.au on blacklists?
I checked at mxtoolbox.com but it seems OK.
manuman wrote:
I'll also double check SPF is done right incase receiving servers are rejecting it.
Thanks, that would be useful.
Read my blog and

No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area. 8 months 2 weeks ago #8068

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I'm not sure if it's relevant or helpful but I have subscriptions on many of the forums so I am notified about new posts.

This stopped working ages ago. I tried unsubscribing/resubscribing but this didn't fix the issue and I currently receive no emails. This means I hardly ever visit here because I forget it exists.

I have just updated my email address from my own domain to a GMail address to see if it makes any difference.
Webilicious Web Design and Development
webilicious.com.au

No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area. 8 months 2 weeks ago #8069

• manuman
Hey Neil,

Let me know directly if you get any emails. If not, do you mind being a guinea pig for me? I'd like to run a few tests, would just mean you getting (or not) a few emails.

Cheers
Shayne
Co-Founder of Joomla!

Forum and/or site not sending emails 8 months 2 weeks ago #8075

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
You can use me as a guinea pig, too. I did not receive email notification about this topic to which I am subscribed.
Suggest you might like to check that the email address used by this website is able to send and receive emails.
Read my blog and

No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area. 8 months 2 weeks ago #8076

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
manuman wrote:
Hey Neil,

Let me know directly if you get any emails. If not, do you mind being a guinea pig for me? I'd like to run a few tests, would just mean you getting (or not) a few emails.

Cheers
Shayne

Hi Shayne,

I'm happy to be a guinea pig!

I actually received a notification for this email and the one that was posted after this.

As I stated earlier, I updated my email address in my profile from my webilicious.com.au email (hosted with SiteGround) to my GMail address. I'm not sure if this helped or not?

Thanks for looking into this.

Neil
webilicious.com.au

No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area. 8 months 2 weeks ago #8077

• manuman
Hi Neil,

I made some changes Exim4 setup lastnight... touch wood they will resolve the issues.

I'll be doing some test posts today and use them to trace the email queue.

Cheers
Shayne
Co-Founder of Joomla!

Forum and/or site not sending emails 8 months 2 weeks ago #8078

• manuman
OK Cool... see reply to Neil...
Co-Founder of Joomla!

No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area. 8 months 2 weeks ago #8079

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Shayne,

Notifications are at least working for me on this post now and hopefully on the other subscriptions I have on the Forums.

Thanks,

Neil
webilicious.com.au

No Contact PageForm or a Public Post area. 8 months 2 weeks ago #8080

• manuman
OK thats at least a start... might still do a few more test.

Thanks!
Shayne
Co-Founder of Joomla!
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds