Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Site updates

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6330

• dex
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi all

An upgrade of this site from J1.5 to J2.5 has been long overdue. It is time.

Here are some tech issues we face:

- Major CPU overuse
- Outdated Kunena
- Redundant Jomsocial (that and Kunena together => CPU hammering)
- SH404SEF -no longer integrates upcoming Kunena version 2.0 - I would like to stop using SH404SEF and go native
- An upgrade/cleanup of old extensions is required
- The template could do with replacing

I was thinking of attacking this right away, as we have a long weekend. I'm being hassled to sort out the CPU usage and it seems like the moment.

Any alternative ideas?

thx
Dex Randall
Joomla! web design and production
www.spikesystems.com.au
www.twitter.com/dexx
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PtrNrs

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6331

• dex
  • Senior Boarder
In fact, whilst I am waiting for a response, I am cleaning up the redundant extensions (apart from Jomsocial, until I get concensus) and upgrading the rest.

Then I will prepare the site upgrade, assuming there's no-one who doesnt want to upgrade!!!
Dex Randall
www.spikesystems.com.au
www.twitter.com/dexx

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6332

• dex
  • Senior Boarder
OK I've done the site cleanup. I'm going ahead with the upgrade excluding jomsocial, because who the hell is going to be online today to discuss? Besides, no-one is using jomsocial. I've moved events.

I do need to get the site sorted quickly whilst I have time and to get the hosting company's finger off the 'suspend' button.
Dex Randall
www.spikesystems.com.au
www.twitter.com/dexx

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6333

• MaxTech
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
sounds good Dex - core SEFURLs works fine nowadays & with Kunena.
-- personally, I only use the forum, but having profiles for members and adds, etc is a good idea.
-- Jomsocial not really being used for anything on the site (except over-riding the Kunena profile). If decided needed later on can always add it back in :)

Template seems OK - maybe leave as is for now and upgrade later in the year after J3 and hopefully getting an updated & responsive Kunena default template -> makes more sense only if can move everything responsive/mobile-first template . . . otherwise only window dressing.

Good luck and thanks for running the site :) Max
Founder & CEO @ molehill.com.au & successeng.in
Partner @ joostrap.com - Joomla! Website Templates & Responsive Web Design

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6334

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Thank you received: 20
dex wrote:
Here are some tech issues we face:

- Major CPU overuse
- Outdated Kunena
- Redundant Jomsocial (that and Kunena together => CPU hammering)
- SH404SEF -no longer integrates upcoming Kunena version 2.0 - I would like to stop using SH404SEF and go native
- An upgrade/cleanup of old extensions is required
- The template could do with replacing
I agree with you.

JomSocial (at least, the outdated version that's being used here) is a site killer - it adds the need for an additional 32 Mb PHP just by itself. Unless one's site is primarily targeted towards social networking this extension is not really worth the trouble, If the site is primarily focused on interaction within the community to discuss/resolve Joomla topical issues, the forum component is probably the main thing to address.

There's a lot of excitement at the moment with K 2.0. K 2.0.0 RC2 was released last night (Australian time) and is already proving to be successful. The Kunena project is gearing up for the public stable release of K 2.0 within the next couple of weeks. This is a project that has been 3+ years in the making and it will be great to finally put this out there. The next version (K 3.0) will be released after J! 3.0 and K 3.0 will not operate on J! 1.5.x sites, either. At last, we're finally disengaging ourselves from the problems that have beset us all with J! 1.5. :)

sh404SEF is, in my humble opinion, an unnecessary extra. For the most part, the added caching of URLs places a punitive cost on PHP memory when you have hundreds (or thousands) of pages - especially if you're using large forums where every page has to be cached. In this sense (when you're running a site with a large forum) it's better to not have sh404SEF enabled for the forum pages - that advice applies equally whether you're using Kunena or any other forum product.

The main benefit, as I see it, for JomSocial, is its PMS. Alternatively there is uddeIM (which works in J! 2.5 - and with Kunena, of course) but, many people dislike uddeIM because it's design is a little outdated. This is a challenge for the Kunena project, too, as part of the plan to migrate the forum support site from J! 1.5 -> J! 2.5. The migration to J! 2.5 is, in fact, a separate project that the Kunena team are currently working on, too. So, we're in a similar situation to what's going on here.

The great thing about J! 2.5 (and beyond with J! 3.0 and the proposed Bootstrap framework) is to bring about more consistency between other Joomla extension developers.

I'm unclear about what other legacy extensions are running on this site but, with the proposed migration strategy you're talking about, there's a great opportunity to clear out any clutter.

Thanks for the update, Dex. You have my support (and help where I can be of assistance).
Read my blog and

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6335

• normdouglas
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Awesome stuff Dex... well done on what would appear to be a successful migration.
Have you experimented with using .htaccess as performance improvements?

I've recently been using this method with quite amazing results.
Rules for Website development:
Step 1: Backup
Step 2: Refer step 1
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by normdouglas.

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6336

• dex
  • Senior Boarder
OK, well I have upgraded from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5

It's not complete - there's a bunch of jobs still left to do - but much of it works, so I'm putting it back online.

It was particularly hard to move avatars, as it would mean not just moving the images and updating the database, but also resizing and renaming all the images. Big job.

Things that didnt make the cut - SH404, Jomsocial, SOBI (obsolete) and the old template (ditto).

I do know there are still quite a few things missing, but feel free to comment here.

I'm glad it slammed with rain all day, or there's no way I'd have got all this done on a public holiday.

Dex
Dex Randall
www.spikesystems.com.au
www.twitter.com/dexx

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6338

• dex
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Norm

Are you talking about caching images and so on?

Dex
Dex Randall
www.spikesystems.com.au
www.twitter.com/dexx

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6340

• dex
  • Senior Boarder
Also BTW folks I've bought a new RSFirewall licence, but it has not yet arrived in my Inbox.
Soon
Dex Randall
www.spikesystems.com.au
www.twitter.com/dexx

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6341

• dex
  • Senior Boarder
OK RSFirewall is on. I'd like to install re-captcha too. Later.
Dex Randall
www.spikesystems.com.au
www.twitter.com/dexx

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6343

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
Congratulations, guys, and, from what I've seen so far, well done! :)
Read my blog and

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6344

• dex
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks!

Hope you like it - should be a bit cleaner and quicker. The template is responsive, but we will need to work on the forum output a bit.

Because we are getting a ridiculous number of spam registrations right now, from people who are activating and logging in, I have implemented re-captcha and also admin approval on new accounts. Hopefully we'll stem the tide and just use re-captcha shortly. Sorry for any inconvenience. I guess someone will let me know the best method of dealing with this.

I am considering making the forum member-only, in case we have spammers trying to harvest.

Dex
Dex Randall
www.spikesystems.com.au
www.twitter.com/dexx

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6345

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
We're in a similar situation at K.org as far as the use of JomSocial avatars is concerned, From my discussions with Matias Griese (co-founder and lead developer of Kunena) the process of moving JomSocial avatars into their respectively correct locations is straightforward by time consuming. He informed me that, with a custom script, it would probably take a few hours to move 25,000+ user avatars into their correct places.

As far as spam registrations are concerned, there are several improvements in Joomla 2.5 that, for example, deal with the use of CAPTCHA or that require administration approval before allowing the registration to proceed. Coupled with advances in K 1.7.2 (now being used here at this site) you can further impede likely spammers by requiring CAPTCHA with, say, the first 3 messages they post. The improvements in K 2.0, however, will in future allow for new member's postings to be reviewed by the moderators before they're published on the forum. So, there's a few ideas you may like to consider.

In respect of the current template here, while the site is much more responsive (and that's a big plus) I'm not a fan at the best of times of pink and especially using a combination of greys and pinks. Overall, while the template is clean and tidy, the colours are not, in my personal opinion, the best from a visually accessible perspective; it has nothing to do with my personal aesthetics. It's merely what colours work best together to provide information in visually relevant way.
Read my blog and
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6346

• PtrNrs
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks Dex, for all your great work! Well done.

I echo Sozzled on the template colours. Particularly I find the white on grey and the grey on red difficult to read.

Pete
Pete Nurse
Searching for somewhere to upload my avatar.
Green with envy at those of you who have found it!

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6347

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
I might have to qualify (or retract) my earlier statement about improved responsiveness from the template. I've noticed that page load times have actually blown out by 200% since the upgrade and that may not be such a good thing. While I have nothing against the use of mega-menu templates (one of the hallmarks of JoomlArt) and the additional Javascript libraries they load - plus jQuery - these niceties all add up in terms of total processor load. As a personal aside, lately I've observed a more disappointing overall quality from JoomlArt and growing user dissatisfaction with their products.

One more thing: try printing the pages from this website. Anyone else noticing the right side of pages is truncated?
Read my blog and
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

Site updates 5 years 3 months ago #6348

• dex
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for all your feedback. It's back to the drawing board for me then.

I can change the template colours. That was just the default. Forgot so many guys are colour blind.

I'm not a fan of bloat either, but that's 'progress' for you. When bootstrap gets here, we'll see even more bloat (I have already tried it).
Dex Randall
www.spikesystems.com.au
www.twitter.com/dexx

Joomla.org.au Updates 4 years 1 month ago #7176

• pjackson
  • Thank you received: 43
Several updates have been made today to joomla.org.au
- Update to 2.5.13
- Update Kunena to 3.0.1
- Update other extensions on the site.

There's a known issue with avatars displaying from gravatar which will be resolved in the next Kunena update. Please log any additional bugs in this thread should you find anything.
Patrick Jackson
www.meetup.com/melbournejug
Ask Anything Joomla and I'll helpfully tell you where to go :)

Joomla.org.au Updates 3 years 10 months ago #7228

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
K 3.0.3 has been released. I'm not sure if the Gravatar avatar images issues have been looked at. I, personally, never enable the Kunena - Gravatar plugin (it's much easier this way) ;)

It would be so nice to be able to use an avatar image in this forum.
Read my blog and

Joomla.org.au Updates 3 years 10 months ago #7235

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
It is a pity that no-one is looking from the JoomlaOz moderation team is looking at these topics.

For others who are interested, the Kunena project is working on a fixes to K 3.0.3 (which is not used here) with a view to releasing K 3.0.4 soon.

The workaround to the Gravatar avatar image problem is to disable the Kunena - Gravatar plugin. Perhaps that is something that the site administrators here may care to comment upon?
Read my blog and

Joomla.org.au Updates 3 years 10 months ago #7245

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
Good to see we are now able to add/update our avatar images again. Thanks for the help from a caring/sharing moderator. ;)
Read my blog and
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds