Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 1 year 7 months ago #7740

  • tuum
  • tuum's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 192
  • Thank you received: 59
Thanks to the hard work of our volunteers, we are finally at a point where we have a complete working site that is ready to replace the current Joomla.org.au, and would like to take this opportunity to get feedback from the Australian Joomla community prior to making the new site live. Please take a look at our dev site http://dev.joomla.org.au, and tell us what you think.

This site doesn't have all the functionality on our wishlist, but is a massive step forward, which we will improve incrementally over the coming months. We want Joomla.org.au to be something the Australian community can be proud of, and to help it grow the use of Joomla in Australia.

We are looking for submissions to our website showcase, so we can really show off some of the great sites that have been built with Joomla in Australia by our community members. If you would like to submit a site to the showcase, or any other content to the site, please add the details to this Google doc
docs.google.com/document/d/1mC8N211IjDfg...jGE/edit?usp=sharing
Note this is a temporary process for content submission, we aim to implement a better workflow in the near future, but didn't want this to delay the go live any further.

Prior to go live, we will migrate all the content of this forum to the new site, so you wont loose any of this history. As such, any test forum posts on the dev site will be overwritten.

Is there anything that should be added/changed/removed prior to go live?

Please provide all feedback by Wed 10th February. We aim to make the site live shortly after this.

If you want to comment privately rather than on this forum, feel free to email me This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

regards

Tim
Follow me on twitter twitter.com/bfsurvey
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by tuum.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 1 year 7 months ago #7742

  • Shane Thorpe
  • Shane Thorpe's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 113
  • Thank you received: 11
Remember everyone - this is for all our benefits.

Don't leave it all up to Tim. Just a bit of your time brings a different view to the table and can be very beneficial in the longer term for the project.

Cheers

Shane
Moderator for MJUG forum.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 1 year 7 months ago #7743

Little things ...

The Showcase page is a bit bare. I appreciate this is probably on a "To Do" list, but there is a danger this won't get done for a while and prospective users might be disillusioned. Is it worthwhile putting out an urgent call to devs to submit their best example? I'm prepared to enter the content.

The Vimeo page formatting is inconsistent with the rest of the site (Large heading and a bullet point is displayed). Can article intro text be displayed as well as read more link?

Should there also be a YouTube page?

Remove extra paragraph at start and end of Installing Joomla on Your Own Host article.

Has all the content from this current forum been migrated? I searched my name, as you do, and it didn't appear in the new forum.

There is some weirdness going on with the forum search. When you initially click the Search tab, this alert is displayed - Your search /forum/search did not match any topics. Also the words /forum/search are pre-filled in the Keywords box. If new worda er entered, the search does work (apart from my name which of course is a disaster).

My thanks to everyone involved in this project.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 1 year 6 months ago #7748

  • buipy001
  • buipy001's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Peter Bui
  • Posts: 111
  • Thank you received: 25
RichardPearce wrote:
Little things ...

The Showcase page is a bit bare. I appreciate this is probably on a "To Do" list, but there is a danger this won't get done for a while and prospective users might be disillusioned. Is it worthwhile putting out an urgent call to devs to submit their best example? I'm prepared to enter the content.

Yes please, anyone with some pretty cool sites, please submit then so we can add them in
RichardPearce wrote:
The Vimeo page formatting is inconsistent with the rest of the site (Large heading and a bullet point is displayed). Can article intro text be displayed as well as read more link?

Should there also be a YouTube page?

Vimeo/Youtube area will be change to a category blog layout with a list of all the awesome video content from all the JUGs.
RichardPearce wrote:

Remove extra paragraph at start and end of Installing Joomla on Your Own Host article.

Noted: on my to do list for the site content/
RichardPearce wrote:
Has all the content from this current forum been migrated? I searched my name, as you do, and it didn't appear in the new forum.

Shayne?
Not sure about that one Richard. It should be.
RichardPearce wrote:

There is some weirdness going on with the forum search. When you initially click the Search tab, this alert is displayed - Your search /forum/search did not match any topics. Also the words /forum/search are pre-filled in the Keywords box. If new worda er entered, the search does work (apart from my name which of course is a disaster).

My thanks to everyone involved in this project.
Peter Bui

The only limitation is your imagination
pbwebdev.com

Twitter: twitter.com/astroboysoup
Facebook: facebook.com/pbwebdev
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 1 year 6 months ago #7758

  • sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Posts: 116
  • Thank you received: 20
Greetings.

I want to put on the record my appreciation for the countless hours of work, dedication and the commitment of the handful of people who have applied their talents to the creation (or re-creation) of this website. I know that it's been a difficult task in building a consensus of opinions within the upper echelons (for want of a better expression) of JoomlaOz—those who are ultimately responsible for the planning, organisation and marketing of Joomla in Australia—regarding their aims and objecives and how to translate these into an online resource.

Joomla is used by all different types of people; for profit or pleasure. I probably fall into the latter category. My take on Joomla in Australia is that it's a loose-knit association of people who have a common, general, interest in website design and management, who see Joomla as a tool in realising their business objectives (as much as their dreams), to stake their own pied-à-terre in the Internet. Australians have had a long history of involvement in the development of Joomla. For most of us who have been involved—or continue to involve ourselves—in Joomla, it is a thankless task; it is a task we devote ourselves to because we want to give back something of ourselves to the community.

In prefacing my feedback on the character of Joomla.org.au, I want to be clear in saying that the people who are responsible for this site have acted selflessly and in what they have believed to be in the best interests of the community.

While it would be easy to "criticise" specific elements of a website—from the choice of colours to the use of space, fonts, glyphs or images— or even to identify technical faults, I want to briefly canvass a couple of different issues that, in my opinion, should be addressed.

In the first place, I am disappointed that very little has changed organisationally (or "managerially") over the past six or seven years that this site has been in operation. There is a perception that Joomla.org.au is out-of-touch with the Australian Joomla community (as evidenced by the fact that all JUGs here are managed or organised outside of what this site offers or provides, e.g. MeetUp). The use of MeetUp is, perhaps, useful; I make no judgement about its efficacy. MeetUp, itself, is not a target of my criticism (although I have consciously chosen not to use it as a matter of personal choice, just as I choose not to use Facebook, Google+ or a variety of other social networking mechanisms). The point that I'm attempting to make is about why ordinary people in Australia would choose to visit Joomla.org.au in the first place.

Over the past few years there has been a decline in visiting Joomla.org.au. I'm sure that everyone has their own explanations as to why this may be so. I make the assertion that there's been a decline in interest in Joomla.org.au; I have no quantitative evidence to support that assertion. I've talked to a few people about why this has been the case. Some of the factors leading to this decline have ranged from the personalities of the people who are involved, the general downturn in Joomla (in a world-wide sense), a perceived lack of engagement by the JoomlaOz leaders with the community as well as the relevance of a Joomla-based website to the needs of the community-at-large.

One striking feature about this website is the number of site administrators who are "needed" to operate this site. Because the command-and-control chain is spread widely, it is difficult for us to know who is responsible for which bits, in particular, regarding editorial policy. Now I am not the kind of person who suffers paranoid delusions but, consider for a moment, if any one of the dozen or so site administrators takes exception to what I may post on this site, could the views of one person veto the wishes of the others who may see some merit in allowing me to express my "different" opinion?

The profligate use of site administrators (each with the ability to exercise equal power as one another) is a well-established recipe for disaster. Consider if an army had 20 generals, all of whom are responsible for the actions of a single platoon, and each of them acting independently of one another? So, while I admire and give credit to the dozen or so people who have executive editorial privilege in running this site, I think it's time that the number of privileged users should be reduced. The fact that there are a dozen or more site administrators here gives the impression that the Joomla.org.au is an exclusive club, that there are more chiefs than indians, or that the opinions of the masses are outweighed by the opinions of the privileged few.

The next thing that I'm concerned about is that, in the early days at the very least, there should have been more enthusiasm shown. We have had a few topics posted on the forum (a couple of which are calls for feedback and a couple of others describing technical issues) that have received little or no acknowledgement over the past few weeks. This is perhaps the biggest disappointment. It's irrelevant to dismiss these forum topics as unworthy. It's also untenable to dismiss the lack of activity on the grounds of "I have been too busy". We're all busy people—I understand that—but, if we don't make the time to re-invigorate Joomla.org.au then we might as well consign ourselves to the realisation that the site is unnecessary, that Google+ or MeetUp are more ideally suited to discussing Joomla in Australia or that (heaven forbid) Joomla, itself, is no longer relevant.

I hope that some of what I've written will be taken as constructive feedback and that we'll get the ball rolling again.

Thank you.
Read my blog and
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 1 year 5 months ago #7778

  • Andrew Smith
  • Andrew Smith's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 39
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi snozzled,

I suspect that the Australian Joomla site is back (?) at the "build it and they will come" stage. It's going to take a little while for people to realise that the site has been upgraded, and that it is worth coming back to for the added/better content. Even more so to have it become a regular browsing habit of enough people that we build an effective community.

For my part, I am the person who records the JUG events in Brisbane and produces the videos that have been added to the Joomla Videos Channel on Vimeo.

You can now view the videos locally here at http://joomla.org.au/how-to/videos and more will be added.

With the Brisbane JUG we have already decided to migrate away from the Meetup discussion system as it doesn't really serve us all that well. We will be encouraging our group members to post here instead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 1 year 3 months ago #7818

  • princessfiona
  • princessfiona's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 36
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi there,

I noticed an video rendering issue on the home page of joomla.org.au on my iPad this morning (video still right up against the right hand side of the screen).

Regards,

PF

NB: I am unable to upload the jpg (200 x 150) - getting the following error:

Unknown column 'protected' in 'field list' SQL=INSERT INTO `jla_kunena_attachments` (`userid`,`mesid`,`protected`,`hash`,`size`,`folder`,`filetype`,`filename`,`filename_real`) VALUES ('165','7817','','1f024eaa44fac0b87edd8f1f96e77256','9805','media/kunena/attachments/165','image/jpeg','joomla-org-au-rendering.jpg','/srv/www/dev.joomla.org.au/source/code/media/kunena/attachments/165/joomla-org-au-rendering.jpg')

I also got the following error when trying to update my profile:

Unknown column 'userListtime' in 'field list' SQL=UPDATE `jla_kunena_users` SET `view`='',`signature`='PF :)\r\nConvenor Joomla! User Group Canberra',`moderator`='0',`ordering`='0',`posts`='21',`avatar`='users/avatar165.jpg',`karma`='1',`karma_time`='0',`group_id`='1',`uhits`='409',`personalText`='',`gender`='0',`birthdate`='1-1-1',`location`='',`websitename`='',`websiteurl`='',`rank`='8',`hideEmail`='1',`showOnline`='1',`icq`='',`aim`='',`yim`='',`msn`='',`skype`='',`twitter`='',`facebook`='',`gtalk`='',`myspace`='',`linkedin`='',`delicious`='',`friendfeed`='',`digg`='',`blogspot`='',`flickr`='',`bebo`='',`thankyou`='1',`canSubscribe`='1',`userListtime`='-2' WHERE `userid`='165'
princessfiona
Co-convenor Canberra Joomla! User Group
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by princessfiona.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 1 year 3 months ago #7821

  • princessfiona
  • princessfiona's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 36
  • Thank you received: 3
sozzled wrote:
Greetings.

I want to put on the record my appreciation for the countless hours of work, dedication and the commitment of the handful of people who have applied their talents to the creation (or re-creation) of this website. I know that it's been a difficult task in building a consensus of opinions within the upper echelons (for want of a better expression) of JoomlaOz—those who are ultimately responsible for the planning, organisation and marketing of Joomla in Australia—regarding their aims and objecives and how to translate these into an online resource.

Joomla is used by all different types of people; for profit or pleasure. I probably fall into the latter category. My take on Joomla in Australia is that it's a loose-knit association of people who have a common, general, interest in website design and management, who see Joomla as a tool in realising their business objectives (as much as their dreams), to stake their own pied-à-terre in the Internet. Australians have had a long history of involvement in the development of Joomla. For most of us who have been involved—or continue to involve ourselves—in Joomla, it is a thankless task; it is a task we devote ourselves to because we want to give back something of ourselves to the community.

In prefacing my feedback on the character of Joomla.org.au, I want to be clear in saying that the people who are responsible for this site have acted selflessly and in what they have believed to be in the best interests of the community.

While it would be easy to "criticise" specific elements of a website—from the choice of colours to the use of space, fonts, glyphs or images— or even to identify technical faults, I want to briefly canvass a couple of different issues that, in my opinion, should be addressed.

In the first place, I am disappointed that very little has changed organisationally (or "managerially") over the past six or seven years that this site has been in operation. There is a perception that Joomla.org.au is out-of-touch with the Australian Joomla community (as evidenced by the fact that all JUGs here are managed or organised outside of what this site offers or provides, e.g. MeetUp). The use of MeetUp is, perhaps, useful; I make no judgement about its efficacy. MeetUp, itself, is not a target of my criticism (although I have consciously chosen not to use it as a matter of personal choice, just as I choose not to use Facebook, Google+ or a variety of other social networking mechanisms). The point that I'm attempting to make is about why ordinary people in Australia would choose to visit Joomla.org.au in the first place.

Over the past few years there has been a decline in visiting Joomla.org.au. I'm sure that everyone has their own explanations as to why this may be so. I make the assertion that there's been a decline in interest in Joomla.org.au; I have no quantitative evidence to support that assertion. I've talked to a few people about why this has been the case. Some of the factors leading to this decline have ranged from the personalities of the people who are involved, the general downturn in Joomla (in a world-wide sense), a perceived lack of engagement by the JoomlaOz leaders with the community as well as the relevance of a Joomla-based website to the needs of the community-at-large.

One striking feature about this website is the number of site administrators who are "needed" to operate this site. Because the command-and-control chain is spread widely, it is difficult for us to know who is responsible for which bits, in particular, regarding editorial policy. Now I am not the kind of person who suffers paranoid delusions but, consider for a moment, if any one of the dozen or so site administrators takes exception to what I may post on this site, could the views of one person veto the wishes of the others who may see some merit in allowing me to express my "different" opinion?

The profligate use of site administrators (each with the ability to exercise equal power as one another) is a well-established recipe for disaster. Consider if an army had 20 generals, all of whom are responsible for the actions of a single platoon, and each of them acting independently of one another? So, while I admire and give credit to the dozen or so people who have executive editorial privilege in running this site, I think it's time that the number of privileged users should be reduced. The fact that there are a dozen or more site administrators here gives the impression that the Joomla.org.au is an exclusive club, that there are more chiefs than indians, or that the opinions of the masses are outweighed by the opinions of the privileged few.

The next thing that I'm concerned about is that, in the early days at the very least, there should have been more enthusiasm shown. We have had a few topics posted on the forum (a couple of which are calls for feedback and a couple of others describing technical issues) that have received little or no acknowledgement over the past few weeks. This is perhaps the biggest disappointment. It's irrelevant to dismiss these forum topics as unworthy. It's also untenable to dismiss the lack of activity on the grounds of "I have been too busy". We're all busy people—I understand that—but, if we don't make the time to re-invigorate Joomla.org.au then we might as well consign ourselves to the realisation that the site is unnecessary, that Google+ or MeetUp are more ideally suited to discussing Joomla in Australia or that (heaven forbid) Joomla, itself, is no longer relevant.

I hope that some of what I've written will be taken as constructive feedback and that we'll get the ball rolling again.

Thank you.

Dear Sozzled,

Thank you for your lively and thoughtful feedback. It will, if nothing else I hope, stimulate discussion and therefore engagement in joomla.org.au.

I'd like to give a response to some of the valid points you raised:

1. Use of 3rd party sites such as Meetup

On the face of it, the point you make about us using 3rd party sites might seem counter-intuitive to our use of this site and the advancement of Joomla more generally, but there is good reason to embrace it.

Over the 10 years that I've been working with web applications and Joomla in particular - and now as digital media manager of a large national organisation with a variety of complex business needs (and overseeing the management of 20 Joomla websites) , I have come to see that the reality of the web now is the use of best-of-breed for whatever we do. We all know the value of Joomla as a core content management system, but there are some 3rd party applications that simply do things better such as MailChimp and MeetUp. This is because they focus on optimising one use-case.

To try to fight against the trend of creating hybrid solutions is, in my view fruitless. What we need to do is be on the front foot and discern the best way of integrating solutions to meet our various business needs. What we as the Joomla community could be doing is identifying the best way of integrating Joomla with 3rd party applications and showcasing best-case hybrid solutions. We can then celebrate and promote the important role that Joomla plays in that mix.

2. Use of the forum v MeetUp

I fully agree that we should not be having discussions on MeetUp. I recommend that all JUG MeetUp administrators actually force their users to the joomla.org.au forum by turning off the forum feature on MeetUp and creating a page that resolves to this forum as I have done for the www.meetup.com/Joomla-User-Group-Canberra/pages/Forum. This might require a 'push request' from key decision makers and opinion leaders such as Tim Plumber from JUG Sydney.

3. Promotion of Joomla and Joomla.org.au

I can see that Joomla went through a rough patch during the transition from Joomla 1.2 to 2.5. We lost many users, with Wordpress and Drupal gaining market share. Who could blame people - it was a bit of a nightmare! But now we're sailing comfortably on J3 I, for one, am not looking back.

The drift from Joomla has not been helped by high profile trainers and mentors (one in particular at a national association I won't mention here) publicly bag out Joomla. My contribution to this situation has been to give constructive feedback (publicly) to the comments such people make. I think I am able to do that with some authority now as my career has embedded me more deeply in the use of Joomla.

I also offer as much support to colleagues as possible. I do this by training people to use Joomla and become comfortable with it. I aim to be generous with my knowledge so that users feel empowered. I also contribute a considerable amount of time facilitating Joomla User Group Canberra meetings.

In summary: 'many hands make light work' and if we all pitch in and promote Joomla the best way that we can, then I'm confident more and more people will come to see the awesomeness of Joomla.

4. Management of Joomla Oz

It has been my view for a considerable period of time that we need some sort of formal structure for Joomla in Australia. A big project like this can only get so far in an organic state and without getting bogged down or tripping over itself.

The good folk at JUG Brisbane have done some work on this as have others such as John Anderton at Butterfly. I am very keen for their initiative to be advanced. For personal reasons, I am unable to take a leadership role in this, but stand ready, willing and able to help whoever does.

I believe if we get this right, we can be more forthright and focussed on marketing Joomla and addressing your concerns.

Regards,

PF

PS Thank you for taking on an administrator role of joomla.org.au and actively engaging in this forum.
princessfiona
Co-convenor Canberra Joomla! User Group
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by princessfiona.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 1 year 3 months ago #7824

  • sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Posts: 116
  • Thank you received: 20
princessfiona wrote:
I am unable to upload the jpg (200 x 150) - getting the following error:

Unknown column 'protected' in 'field list' SQL=INSERT INTO `jla_kunena_attachments` (`userid`,`mesid`,`protected`,`hash`,`size`,`folder`,`filetype`,`filename`,`filename_real`) VALUES ('165','7817','','1f024eaa44fac0b87edd8f1f96e77256','9805','media/kunena/attachments/165','image/jpeg','joomla-org-au-rendering.jpg','/srv/www/dev.joomla.org.au/source/code/media/kunena/attachments/165/joomla-org-au-rendering.jpg')

I also got the following error when trying to update my profile:

Unknown column 'userListtime' in 'field list' SQL=UPDATE `jla_kunena_users` SET `view`='',`signature`='PF :)\r\nConvenor Joomla! User Group Canberra',`moderator`='0',`ordering`='0',`posts`='21',`avatar`='users/avatar165.jpg',`karma`='1',`karma_time`='0',`group_id`='1',`uhits`='409',`personalText`='',`gender`='0',`birthdate`='1-1-1',`location`='',`websitename`='',`websiteurl`='',`rank`='8',`hideEmail`='1',`showOnline`='1',`icq`='',`aim`='',`yim`='',`msn`='',`skype`='',`twitter`='',`facebook`='',`gtalk`='',`myspace`='',`linkedin`='',`delicious`='',`friendfeed`='',`digg`='',`blogspot`='',`flickr`='',`bebo`='',`thankyou`='1',`canSubscribe`='1',`userListtime`='-2' WHERE `userid`='165'
I know about this (and I have reported it several times over the past few months) and I also know how to fix it, too. I have sent a few emails to the site adminstrators to get some action going but I haven't received any interest. Sorry. I can't do anything myself to fix it. There's a problem in the site database.

PS, thanks also for your other comments concerning my earlier contribution to this topic.
Read my blog and
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by sozzled.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozneilau

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 1 year 3 months ago #7825

  • manuman
  • manuman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 75
  • Thank you received: 18
Modified the table and hopefully its fixed
Co-Founder of Joomla!
CTO/Web Architect - Elastik Space elastik.space / Elastik Digital elastik.digital
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozneilau

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 9 months 3 weeks ago #8018

  • sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Posts: 116
  • Thank you received: 20
RichardPearce wrote:
There is some weirdness going on with the forum search. When you initially click the Search tab, this alert is displayed - Your search /forum/search did not match any topics. Also the words /forum/search are pre-filled in the Keywords box. If new words are entered, the search does work (apart from my name which of course is a disaster).
I discovered the reason for this some time ago and I'm still discussing this problem with Tim and Shayne.

The reason for this lies in the type of caching used to operate the website.
Read my blog and
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 9 months 3 weeks ago #8022

  • manuman
  • manuman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 75
  • Thank you received: 18
I previously mentioned this... even with APC off the search issue was still there. Even now Caching is just file based and search is not properly functional.

What I see currently is that the forum search button takes people to the Search page with the string /forum/search being used as a search string. This is happening even with cache turned off so I'm tentatively inclined to think its either a Kunena issue or maybe a Kunena Template issue... I'll investigate on a local copy of the site.
Co-Founder of Joomla!
CTO/Web Architect - Elastik Space elastik.space / Elastik Digital elastik.digital
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 9 months 3 weeks ago #8024

  • sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Posts: 116
  • Thank you received: 20
I know it's not an issue with Kunena—neither the component nor the template. I've tested this on a differently-hosted copy of this site and there are no issues. I think it's a hosting issue (but I don't know what other Apache modules are playing around to make this happen).
Read my blog and
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 9 months 2 weeks ago #8036

  • manuman
  • manuman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 75
  • Thank you received: 18
Server is Nginx, not Apache so no Apache modules and Nginx is insanely light, it just passes the request via scocket to PHP (PHP5-FPM).

I'm setting up local dev again so I can look under the hood and will report back over the weekend.
Co-Founder of Joomla!
CTO/Web Architect - Elastik Space elastik.space / Elastik Digital elastik.digital
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 9 months 2 weeks ago #8037

  • manuman
  • manuman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 75
  • Thank you received: 18
OK update on search passing in /forum/search as search term.... it's fixed and it's nothing to do with caching!

It's all to do with Nginx/Joomla and for the sake of helping anyone else in same boat heres the explanation.

For SEF Nginx does a redirect similar to Apache. The original config for Joomla, Drupal etc was to pass through the params as q=$uri&$args like so...

try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?q=$uri&$args;

That's all good except Kunena used to use q= for the searchwords and whilst it now uses query= it is still checks for q= if query= is null. Ergo it was picking up the $uri&$args as searchwords.

The fix... Joomla can now accept the following Nginx config which removes the use of q...

try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$args;

Problem solved :D
Co-Founder of Joomla!
CTO/Web Architect - Elastik Space elastik.space / Elastik Digital elastik.digital
Last Edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by manuman.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozneilau, sozzled

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 9 months 2 weeks ago #8038

  • sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Posts: 116
  • Thank you received: 20
Thanks for that, Shayne. Now let's see if we can fix up another niggling issue.

The two screenshots attached show a different breadcrumbs depending on whether the user is logged-in or not (pic1 is not logged-in, pic2 is after login). The issue is not related to the module itself—I've confirmed that with my own testing—and it's not related to the hosting either.

This issue does not seem to be related to Kunena (although I notice that you recently upgraded the component); the Kunena breadcrumbs is correct.

As a workaround, we could disable the Joomla (Krizalys Breadcrumbs) module just for the Kunena forum pages.

Got any ideas?
Attachments:
Read my blog and
Last Edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by sozzled.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 9 months 2 weeks ago #8039

  • manuman
  • manuman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 75
  • Thank you received: 18
Challenge accepted... see what I can do.
Co-Founder of Joomla!
CTO/Web Architect - Elastik Space elastik.space / Elastik Digital elastik.digital
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 9 months 5 days ago #8051

  • sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Posts: 116
  • Thank you received: 20
Could this be related to server-side caching?

Visiting joomla.org.au (without logging-in) shows this screen:



Clicking the forum link shows this screen:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Read my blog and
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 8 months 4 weeks ago #8062

  • sozzled
  • sozzled's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Posts: 116
  • Thank you received: 20
There is something definitely wrong with the way that site content is cached. Every now and then, stale content is served. For example, a few moments ago I saw the following information displayed at the foot of the forum index page:



This information is wrong in several ways:

1) There is no account with the username "jessicaemily46"; the account link points to user id 4027
2) The account name should appear in an olive-green colour (not blue) because the account has been blocked.
3) The account (userid 4027) was created on 18-Aug-2016

The latest account registered on this site has the userid 4048.

My gut instinct tells me that this problem is caused by server-side caching (at least caching the forum) for which there is probably little or no direct benefit.

And, yes, the problem can be "resolved" by clearing the server cache.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Read my blog and
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla.org.au - we need your feedback 8 months 4 weeks ago #8064

  • manuman
  • manuman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 75
  • Thank you received: 18
Both your last post regarding jessicaemily46 and the previous one about the top menus are displaying content from the Dev site (which i put into offline mode last week). User 4047 is in fact jessicaemily46 on that site meaning the username was changed at some point after the last merge between the two.

You should be able to access both front and backend to see.
Co-Founder of Joomla!
CTO/Web Architect - Elastik Space elastik.space / Elastik Digital elastik.digital
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum