Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Content migration from one website to another but only a part of the content

Content migration from one website to another but only a part of the content 4 months 3 weeks ago #8264

• buipy001
  • Peter Bui
  • Thank you received: 25
Hey there all

Wondering what strategies people are employing in regards to SEO and search engine page rankings when content migration from one domain to another domain but only a certain set of content is performed.

For example, moving all the news from the Joomla.org.au website to another domain's news section.

What methods of managing SEO and 301 redirects are people using to manage it all.

Looking at least 100 items in one category and sub section of the website and another 150 or so items in another sub section to be moved.
Peter Bui

The only limitation is your imagination
pbwebdev.com

Twitter: twitter.com/astroboysoup
Facebook: facebook.com/pbwebdev
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Content migration from one website to another but only a part of the content 4 months 3 weeks ago #8265

• pjackson
  • Thank you received: 43
Not an exhaustive list but some recent things I've done and podcasts to check:

Download xml Site map for the content you are redirecting. Clean up the list to those you want to redirect and add their new destinations. Where content is being dropped but another relevant article is in place you can redirect to the article.

Create a search page for the rest of it to land on that is a spruced up 404 page, but it doesn't give them a 404

Most of the bulk there is done in .htaccess as a one off.

To pick up strays you could use redirect plugin and component or step up to one of the other sef components that manage it.

Listen to SPI episodes 200 and 261 on content auditing for some other thoughts and Ask Pat podcast has a few topics related too (ep 822) www.smartpassiveincome.com/podcasts/how-...with-todd-tresidder/
www.smartpassiveincome.com/podcasts/seo-self-audit-checklist/
www.smartpassiveincome.com/askpat/conten...do-i-delete-content/
Patrick Jackson
www.meetup.com/melbournejug
Ask Anything Joomla and I'll helpfully tell you where to go :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.036 seconds