Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Payment Gateways

Payment Gateways 3 years 4 days ago #7350

• jennymac
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Guys,
I am upgrading a website I made about 18 months ago and they want to be able to accept online donations.
Do any of you use a payment gateway that you have found to be really good - i.e. works consistently & easily & has good security?
The site is a community radio, so I do not need a payment gateway for a shop.
Thanks in advance
Blessings
Jenny
Jenny McWilliam
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Payment Gateways 3 years 4 days ago #7351

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi Jenny,

Unless there's a steady stream of donations amounting to more than a few hundred dollars every month, then it's probably not worth taking payments directly on the website as you'll need to switch the website to https, purchase an SSL security certificate and a dedicated IP address and open a merchant banking account which can be a fairly onerous exercise (not to mention the set up and monthly fees which still have to be paid even if there are zero donations).

The alternative is to set up your online donation extension to accept PayPal, Direct Deposit, and maybe some other external payment methods which originate on the website but the financial transaction happens externally so you don't have to bother with https etc on the radio station website.

One of the most popular donation extensions is JoomDonation ($25 including 12 months support) which comes with a plethora of payment methods including PayPal and Direct Deposit (and also eWay for an extra $21 which is the one you'll probably need for merchant banking if you choose to go that route).

joomdonation.com/joomla-extensions/joom-...paypal-donation.html

Neil.
Webilicious Web Design and Development
webilicious.com.au
Last Edit: 3 years 4 days ago by ozneilau. Reason: Extra Detail.

Payment Gateways 3 years 4 days ago #7352

• Shane Thorpe
  • Thank you received: 11
You can always use PayPal itself Jen. It uses its own SSL as Neil has suggested and you can create individual PayNow/Donate buttons etc depending on the number or products or items you are wishing to process. Good thing here is you only get charged a processing fee if it is used - no ongoing fees.

Couple of other options as well we can discuss at MJUG next week if you like.

Cheers

Shane
Moderator for MJUG forum.

Payment Gateways 3 years 4 days ago #7353

• jennymac
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks Neil and Shane. I have looked into Paypal and setting up a business account is a tedious process so the committee are not keen on that. Loved your other comments Neil - appreciate them.
I will look into JoomDonation and if the MJUG has suggestions I would love to hear them Shane - just remember I won't be there next week because I hope to have a new grandchild by then :) Yay!
Blessings
Jenny
Jenny McWilliam

Payment Gateways 3 years 4 days ago #7354

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Edit: I just re-read your reply and realise you are probably saying your client is understandably reluctant to set up a merchant account but presumably they are OK with setting up PayPal.

Setting up a Business PayPal account isn't too hard.

I often do this on behalf of clients. All you need is their bank account name, BSB and account number and possibly their ABN.

I usually have access to administer their email so I create a paypal@[clientdomainname].com.au email account or forward and set up the account using that. Once all the set up is done, I pass on the email and password credentials to the client.

There is a verification process where a small amount is deposited into the nominated account and at some point you'll need your client to check their account and tell you the amount so you can verify the PayPal account.

It's not difficult and assuming things go smoothly, probably takes no more than an hour or two.

Neil
Webilicious Web Design and Development
webilicious.com.au
Last Edit: 3 years 4 days ago by ozneilau. Reason: Clear up misunderstanding.
Time to create page: 0.043 seconds