Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a Joomla problem? Post as much detail about it as you can here to see if you can get a solution.

Help others in the community - post your Joomla tips and how-tos here.

TOPIC: forwarding emails

forwarding emails 5 years 1 month ago #6270

• CHBCSwim
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I use forwarding emails and have found in the last month that one email (one very important email address) has just stopped working. It is an optusnet.com.au email so it's not obscure

any ideas
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: forwarding emails 5 years 1 month ago #6277

• pjackson
  • Thank you received: 43
This is a question you might need to troubleshoot with your hosting company, as it's not specifically joomla related.

If you email the forwarding address, I'm assuming you aren't getting email to that forwarded account.

I assume also that if you email the optusnet address you will get the email... if not, that might be your issue.

Optus may also have blocked the email address if there appears to be lots of spam coming into it?
Patrick Jackson
www.meetup.com/melbournejug
Ask Anything Joomla and I'll helpfully tell you where to go :)

Re: forwarding emails 5 years 1 month ago #6279

• CHBCSwim
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
thanks for the quick response. And to answer your questions Yes if I email to the forwarding address it doesn't come through, if I email direct it does as does any other emails to this address, it's just when we try to go through the forwarding address. I am in the process of changing hosts, as I have no support from the current host, so I will see if I still have a problem once I migrate. thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: anytimesoftcare

forwarding emails 1 month 2 weeks ago #8248

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Depending on your hosting, spam filtering isn't usually enabled for forwarded emails. If too much spam is forwarded, the server can be black listed so mail delivery fails.

There are ways around this. For example, in cPanel, you can minimise propagation of spam (and preserve the reputation of your server) by using SpamAssassin, Global Email Filters and Email Filters rather than Forwarders:

1. At cPanel -> SpamAssassin, enable SpamAssassin

2. At cPanel -> Email Accounts, create an account for each user you wish to forward to.

3. At cPanel -> Global Email Filters, set up a filter as follows:

Filter Name: SpamAssassin Discard Rule
Rule: Spam Bar contains +++++
Action: Discard Message

4. At cPanel -> Email Filters, set up a filter for each forward as follows:

Filter Name: Redirect and Discard Rule
Rule: Any recipient contains This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Action: Redirect to Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Action: Discard Message

Note: There should be no entries at cPanel -> Forwarders.
Webilicious Web Design and Development
webilicious.com.au
Time to create page: 0.046 seconds