Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a Joomla problem? Post as much detail about it as you can here to see if you can get a solution.

Help others in the community - post your Joomla tips and how-tos here.

TOPIC: Best approach to creating a multilingual Jooma site

Best approach to creating a multilingual Jooma site 3 years 5 months ago #7263

• neilforrester
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Hello,

I have a client who wants to create a multi lingual site but he'd prefer to have each English page translated correctly rather than using a translation plugin.

My questions is how best to approach the site structure in the back end for this type of site. The front end user needs to be able to select from one of three languages at the front end so that the site changes to the preferred language.

I think this means I need to create 3 main menus, three of everything really - but how best to organise all this in the backend? Has anyone else gone through this process?

Many thanks,
Neil.
Neil Forrester
www.pixelfire.com.au
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Best approach to creating a multilingual Jooma site 3 years 5 months ago #7264

• rsearle
  • Expert Boarder
  • I build and integrate serious business web applications using the best free open source platforms
  • Thank you received: 25
Hi Neil,

I have a client who runs 12 regional sites across ANZ, Europe and the US, with each site in English and one or more national languages. I am (all too) well aware of how this sort of effort works. At a technical level it's pretty easy:

• Install the Joomla! language packs you want
  • Define the site default language and the content languages with correct language codes and flag images
  • Enable and configure the System - Language Filter plugin. In particular, enable Item Associations if you want one-for-one matching of articles in multiple languages depending on the visitor's selected language
  • Configure a language switcher module in your header menu
  • Organise your site's content production team to write each article in multiple languages, and when they do so they must specify the language for each article and also the matching articles in other languages (that's the 'item associations' part of the process)
  • You will need multiple matching menus in each language as well, and each menu item should also have item associations to other menu items in other national languages
  • Finally on each language-specific menu you must identify the home page for that language

That might sound like a lot, but it all makes sense and it's pretty easy and quick to do. To give you some idea, I developed a migration process for this client that let me migrate a Joomla! v2.5 site in any mix of foreign languages to a v3.x version of the site, complete with all the above language features and article associations. These migrations took an average of two hours each, and about half of that work was manual menu and article item associations after the automated site migrations.

Best of luck,

Russell
Psicom
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by rsearle.

Best approach to creating a multilingual Jooma site 3 years 5 months ago #7265

• neilforrester
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Russel,

Thanks for answering my question about multi language Joomla sites. You say it's pretty easy but it looks like a challenge to me! I'm sure after doing a few it gets easier heh :)

Do the instructions you mention work with K2 items?

Plus, you say configure a language switcher module in the header - I like GTranslate. Have you used this language switcher or do you recommend another to work with your approach?

Thanks again for your excellent advice. I'll have a play around over the weekend and see if I can figure it out.

Many thanks,
Neil.
Neil Forrester
www.pixelfire.com.au

Best approach to creating a multilingual Jooma site 3 years 5 months ago #7266

• rsearle
  • Expert Boarder
  • I build and integrate serious business web applications using the best free open source platforms
  • Thank you received: 25
Hi Neil,

Sorry, I don't use K2 and I don't know what K2's language facilities are. I can't help you with that.

I only use the native Joomla! language switcher. It's quite adequate for my purposes.

Cheers,

Russell
Psicom

Best approach to creating a multilingual Jooma site 3 years 5 months ago #7267

• neilforrester
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Russel,

Looking at what you have said and my quick searches on YouTube and Google I believe that the native Joomla language switcher will work fine with K2. I'm going to work it out over the weekend. When I'm done I'll write up a tutorial and post it back on here. So fingers crossed I'll get it sussed.

Thanks,
Neil.
Neil Forrester
www.pixelfire.com.au

Best approach to creating a multilingual Jooma site 3 years 3 months ago #7273

• mraab
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Neil,

I am working with a few multilingual site for quite some time now. Joomla 3 made it fantastically easy, much better than all other components that I used before in previous Joomla versions. You will need to diligently follow the menu instructions for the first time to make it work. It will be easy afterwards. If you have access to Lynda.com, there are a few great videos talking you through step by step.

With respect to translating pages vs. a translation plugin, this is really a question on how professional your client wants his site to appear to his own customers. No translation plugin can do what a proper translation does. However, translating every page and module comes at a cost, not only at the beginning but also the years after when maintaining a good quality web site.

I encourage my customers with multilingual sites to be very moderate with content at the beginning and grow the content and complexity over time, when the required effort and benefits are clear to the customer. In my experience most people are over ambitious and maintaining one site is laborious enough. With multiple languages it becomes quickly a massive liability and if not maintained at the same level, it might look abandoned in other languages too.

Matthias
Deutsche in Melbourne | Deutsche in Perth
Melbourne Joomla User Group

Best approach to creating a multilingual Jooma site 3 years 3 months ago #7280

• neilforrester
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Matthias,

Good to hear that Joomla 3 works well for mulitlingual sites. I'll resubscribe to Lynda and check out the tutorials. It's a great site. Thanks for your advice about running multi lingual sites. It's pretty small site and hopefully we'll only have two languages.

Start the Thai language part of the site next week. Fingers crossed :)

Thanks,
Neil.
Neil Forrester
www.pixelfire.com.au

Best approach to creating a multilingual Jooma site 10 months 4 weeks ago #7806

Hi Neil,

Launch a multilingual classifieds website using the classifieds ads software classifieds script . They provide various modules and plugins which has a vast dimension. Google Map Integration is also possible in Jom Classifieds. You just install Jom classifieds package and manage admin back end Once the users post ads in your website. You can create classifieds site in any language using this amazing classifieds script.
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by piaesther.
Time to create page: 0.057 seconds