Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a Joomla problem? Post as much detail about it as you can here to see if you can get a solution.

Help others in the community - post your Joomla tips and how-tos here.

TOPIC: Beware Joomla Statistics Gotcha!

Beware Joomla Statistics Gotcha! 1 year 2 months ago #7866

• robertf
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
This problem will only affect you if you're disconnected from the internet, working offline or, like me, rogered by another Telstra broadband outage!

One of my dev (localhost on MAMP) 3.5.1 Joomla websites stopped displaying the front end. It looked like it was loading, slow--ly, but wouldn't display. The back end admin was fine.

I tried disabling and deleting recently added items, like menus and articles, and extensions. Nada! I even deleted the database and directory and reinstalled Joomla, but it just would not display the front end.

The REALLY annoying part is that it had worked fine yesterday. And I could not recall having installed or tweaked anything that could have broken it. (Other dev websites were fine.)

And then the penny dropped: Thanks to (another!) Telstra outage, I wasn't connected to the internet. So, I hooked up via Hotspot on my phone AND the website front end displayed. It didn't take long to realise the culprit was Joomla Statistics. I was certain I had selected Never on installing Joomla, but when I tried another fresh install (over the dev website), I didn't see the Joomla Statistics option(?).

Anyway, the solution was to change the settings in the plugin, which is called System – Joomla! Statistics and can be found in the plugin list available by clicking Extensions → Plugins in the admin main menu. I did select Never, but that didn't work, so I just disabled the plugin. Again, it took a while for the cached settings to refresh, but they did eventually and the dev website front end is now displaying fine.

I share this in the hope it saves someone else a VERY frustrating couple of hours! :angry:

PS. I found some good info on Joomla 3.5 Statistics in a Gavick Pro blog post:
www.gavick.com/blog/joomla-3-5
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Beware Joomla Statistics Gotcha! 1 year 2 months ago #7869

• codekadiya
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you for the note. I have to add one more thing about new version of Joomla working with PHP7 which isnt correct. The backend doesnt really work as there are still bugs with menu module which throws errors if you turn your server to php7.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robertf

Beware Joomla Statistics Gotcha! 1 year 2 months ago #7872

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Thank you received: 20
@robertf: as much as it's probably disconcerting for someone who wants (or feels compelled) to isolate themselves from the internet when they're testing site development work on a locally-hosted/LAN-based web server, how often might this occur?

Inasmuch it's a disturbing sign of the times that the internet has pervaded its way into just about every aspect of our lives (e.g. having to use a "Microsoft account name" when you register a version of Windows on a PC and needing to be connected to the internet just to login to your PC), it happens. As you correctly point out (and it's worth reporting this discovery at the Joomla forum), merely setting the value of Mode = Never in the System - Joomla! Statistics may be insufficient. It may be necessary to disable/unpublish the plugin completely.

Another possible reason for slow performance within a LAN-based web environment could be due to a software firewall. The Windows firewall was one of the main reasons I abandoned testing site proof-of-concept development in a multi-user LAN environment, because Apache over Windows is really slow compared to interacting with a real website on the internet. That's only my opinion of course.

codekadiya wrote:
[In the] new version of Joomla ... with PHP7 ... the backend doesnt really work as there are still bugs with menu module which throws errors if you turn your server to php7.
Of course, that kind of statement is unsubstantiated by the opposite facts. That may be your personal experience but it's not representative of the 5% of all J! 3.5 users who currently use PHP 7. Further, there are "good" versions of PHP 7 and there are "bad" versions of PHP 7. Statements like "Joomla + PHP 7 doesn't work because of bugs" are borderline FUD.

Therefore, if you have evidence of the unreliability of PHP 7 + J! 3.5, it would be appreciated if you quote your sources or make further enquiries.
Read my blog and
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robertf

Beware Joomla Statistics Gotcha! 1 year 2 months ago #7874

• robertf
  • Fresh Boarder
Quick note, I wasn't feeling compelled to "isolate" myself from the internet, I had no option as my ISP cable connection was down for 24 hours! Which is how I stumbled across the gotcha. :)
Time to create page: 0.044 seconds