• Page:

TOPIC:

Best option for Blogging via a Joomla Website ? 5 months 1 week ago #8693

• aus4017
  • aus4017's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry I missed the get-together, especially as the topic was of interest.
I haven't been really active in the Joomla world for some time, but I am at last in the process of rebuilding from scratch my community website www.aus4017.com . It is years out of date running J. 2.5.28 so needs to be optimized for technology - mobile, tablet, desktop.

Simple question: I want to have a blog as part of the rebuilt site, for registered/logged in members only. Had a quick look through the Joomla directory etc., and the consensus seems to be that I should use Wordperfect for blogging. Does everyone agree, and if so, can it be transparently linked to the Joomla website ? Feedback greatly appreciated asap.

Regards,

John Wilson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Best option for Blogging via a Joomla Website ? 5 months 1 week ago #8694

• nicky
  • Thank you received: 15
Hi John, I think the plan is to have the session video uploaded at some stage, but this blog post may help if you decide to stick with Joomla: www.websolutionz.com.au/blog/set-up-a-basic-blog-in-joomla

Otherwise, one of the guys here in Melbourne told us a few months ago about a Joomla extension which installs Wordpress inside Joomla. Can't recall the name but I'm sure you could Google it.

Cheers,
Nicky
The following user(s) said Thank You: aus4017

Best option for Blogging via a Joomla Website ? 5 months 1 week ago #8695

• nicky
  • Thank you received: 15
The following user(s) said Thank You: aus4017

Best option for Blogging via a Joomla Website ? 5 months 1 week ago #8696

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Thank you received: 25
This is an excellent question, John. It's the quintessential question that anyone who's interested in webcraft would want to know: how do you use a website for 'blogging?

This question, however, begs another even more important question: what does 'blogging mean?

I'm sure there are many different opinions about what 'blogging means, just as I'm sure there are many different types of beverages one may consume, or products one uses in life. It depends on what you like and how you want to "do" it.

To me, 'blogging means writing: the writing may be plain text, or text with images, or text with other forms of multimedia (e.g. audio or video files). Text can be written in all different kinds of ways: For those who are inclined towards Wordpress, the terminology used they use is 'blog post. The analogue in Joomla! is what we call an article.

Keeping to the Joomla! terminology, articles can be organised or classified by the site owner and/or article author(s) is all kinds of ways. You could, for example, have articles organised into categories for food recipes, art works, science, macrame working, space travel ...

No problem there, is there? Furthermore, these categories can be sub-divided. Even then, the categorisation is not restrictive to using one category for a bunch of articles. What if you wrote an article about cooking chateabriand in space—I know, that's kind of travelling where no-one has travelled before. I'm just saying, what if? You can use J! tags—a feature that has been part of J! since 2013 (around the same time that J! 2.5 was retired from service)—and tag your food recipe article with "space travel" and "science" and "comic relief" ... or whatever else takes your fancy.

There are endless possibilities there. J! has these 'blogging facilities built in and there's no reason to shop around or zip off to Wordpress, Qix or some other whatchamacallit.

I could write—or should I describe the activity as "'blog"?—about how to 'blog in Joomla! for ages. It's one of the main reasons I use J!.

Lastly, John, if I may: J! 2.5.28 is really ancient. You're right about it not being a good fit for mobile devices. You're right about it being out of date. However, it's not a big deal to migrate from J! 2.5.28 to J! J3.x. If you're in any doubt about that, get in touch with me (somehow). We could have a chat (offline from this forum) if you have the time; I like to do these kinds of things on Skype even if I don't make a red cent from doing it.

I had a [very] quick look at your website, John. I'm sorry to say that I was totally lost as to what the site is about and what I could do with it. Keep in mind that the average attention span of the average user is less than 2 seconds, you have 2 seconds to impress newcomers to your website. I think that you could probably do a lot more with a lot less on the home page (that's just my opinion).

Anyway, good luck. It's not that difficult ... and we have all the time in the world to work on projects like these, haven't we?

Cheers

Best option for Blogging via a Joomla Website ? - Thank you 5 months 6 days ago #8697

• aus4017
  • aus4017's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you Sozzled for your detailed response - much appreciated ! Yes, www.aus4017.com has grown into a big mess over the years, which is why I decided to go back and start from scratch by rebuilding it, rather than going through the upgrade option.
You can see my work to date at www.new.aus4017.com which is "lean and mean" compared to the original.

My aim is to get rid of all the "deadwood" which is in the old one, and make the new one much simpler and menu-driven so as to maximise flexibility for different screen sizes - mobile/tablet/laptop/desktop.

I'll have to investigate further the blogging options.

This message contains confidential information

Thanks again !

John Wilson

Last edit: by sozzled.

Best option for Blogging via a Joomla Website ? - Thank you 5 months 6 days ago #8698

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Thank you received: 25
I edited your last post, John, and gave you my Skype address (you'll have to login to the forum to see it). If you want to talk about this—"investigate more 'blogging options"—please let me know by replying to this topic, give me a time/date and we'll take it from there. OK?

Best option for Blogging via a Joomla Website ? 2 months 18 hours ago #8725

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Joomla Fanatic
  • Thank you received: 20
Sorry, I may be a bit late to provide an answer for John but the best extension for blogging in Joomla is no extension as Joomla has plenty of functionality already built in to do a blog or multiple blogs including control of the formatting and various other features.
Webilicious Web Design and Development
webilicious.com.au
webhostingdownunder.com.au
The following user(s) said Thank You: nicky

Best option for Blogging via a Joomla Website ? 2 months 15 hours ago #8726

• manuman
  • Thank you received: 24
I concur with ozneilau... Joomla does what 99% of peeps need out of the box and in most cases its far easier to extend the core functionality to get what you need than a 3rd party extensions.
Co-Founder of Joomla!
Joomla / Web Hosting - Elastik Space elastik.space
Joomla, Web & App Development - Elastik Digital elastik.digital

• Page: