Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Multiple Websites per hostng account.

Multiple Websites per hostng account. 2 months 3 weeks ago #8607

• Terry
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi,

with the change in pricing introduced by cPanel a few months ago that sees hosting companies being charge per cPanel account and today I received an email from VentraIP explaining their increase, I wanted to do a survey on how many people are running multiple domains on one account and many have one Joomla per hosting account.

Hopefully some good examples of how to set up multiple Joomla sites in one account will help people consider ways to rationalise their own installations, whether they use cPanel or not.

Terry

PS. I can't find a button to create Poll/Survey so it will have to be a little less sophisticated and just reiy on what people feel like posting.
Been working with Joomla for Fun and Work for 10 years.
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Terry.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Multiple Websites per hostng account. 2 months 3 weeks ago #8608

• Terry
  • Administrator
Hi,

for my own sites I have one cPanel Account per client and then one or more Joomla installations within that clients account. They may have a live site or two and I might have a test site set up for a migration or development at times.

I don't have any Joomla installations in the root directory, they are all in their own sub-directories and use sub or addon domains to access them directly except for the domain that is assigned to the account as the default. For this domain I have a .htaccess that rewrites the URL and I use the live_site= parameter in configuration.php of that installation.

Terry

Multiple Websites per hostng account. 2 months 3 weeks ago #8609

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
  • Joomla Fanatic
  • Thank you received: 13
Hi Terry,

Most of the websites I look after are in their own hosting account although there are a few exceptions where clients sometimes have more than one website sharing the same hosting account. Sometimes this is temporary while I develop a new version of the website or perhaps the new website has been launched and a copy of the old website is retained for a few weeks in case we have missed anything.

The first time I set up more than one website in one cPanel account, I had Joomla in the root /public_html folder and I added the additional website in a subfolder e.g. /public_html/new. This works pretty well in Joomla 3 and I don't usually have to mess around setting up a sub-domain, updating the $live_site parameter in configuration.php or updating RewriteBase in .htaccess. I do update the tmp and logs paths in the Global Configuration and I exclude the subfolder in the Akeeba Backup configuration of the Joomla install in /public_html.

More recently, and especially when WordPress and multiple domain names are being added beyond the first website in the account, I set up the add-on domain with a document root at the same level as /publc_html so that the websites have better separation. WordPress isn't so easy to move as Joomla so you really want it at the final destination to start with where possible.

I haven't seen any news from VentraIP about any planned price increase yet. Can you please elaborate on this?
Webilicious Web Design and Development
webilicious.com.au
webhostingdownunder.com.au

Multiple Websites per hostng account. 2 months 3 weeks ago #8612

• Terry
  • Administrator
WordPress isn't so easy to move as Joomla so you really want it at the final destination to start with where possible.

That is the approach i took from pretty much the start of playing with Joomla, I don't want to be making changes or moving the installation from testing to live or production, so my changes, excluding livesite=, are to the things pointing to the installation and can be quickly reversed if things go toes up, updating things such as domain entries or .htaccess.

I have never needed to change rewriteBase, i just leave it as Joomla supplied.

I would like to do away with using livesite=, so maybe someone will post an improved solution. :)

Terry
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Terry. Reason: typo
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds