TOPIC: Joomla made Easy

Joomla made Easy 1 week 3 days ago #8674

• Terry
  • Terry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi,

for a little pet peeve or interest of mine I would like to collect examples and samples of 'things' that people do to their Joomla websites to make things easier for the end users of a Joomla website. Looking for the things that as a site builder you do or have seen that make it easier for your clients or the people within your organisation manage their content and in general make your site(s) more end-user friendly.

For the moment I would like to see what people share that can help everyone build better Joomla websites so there are no limits or filters on what or how much can be suggested and we will see what comes to the surface.

Terry
Technical consulting, problem solving, custom development & programming and making square pegs fit in round holes with Joomla. You can find me at www.irataweb.com.au or 0409 942 896
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozneilau

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Joomla made Easy 1 week 3 days ago #8675

• Terry
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hi,

to kick things off...

Where you have a Module displayed on a site that contains only text information, say opening times for a business, that the client might like to change at times for public holidays etc. put the information inside an Article and insert the article inside the module. This way it is just another article to change for the end-user and it looks familiar rather than have to give them instructions for finding the right module and explaining why some things look different and how Modules are different to Articles.

Terry
Technical consulting, problem solving, custom development & programming and making square pegs fit in round holes with Joomla. You can find me at www.irataweb.com.au or 0409 942 896
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozneilau, garkell

Joomla made Easy 1 week 3 days ago #8676

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Joomla Fanatic
  • Thank you received: 18
Nice topic Terry!

Here's one of mine.

Issue: Clients weren't able to easily create columns when editing articles using a Gantry 4 template.

Solution: I used Regular Labs ReReplacer (see attached example below) to set up simple column syntax so the website owners could implement columns as per the following examples without having to know the Gantry Bootstrap 2 syntax:

Example 1: Two columns of 50% each
{column-50}
  Column 1: This example implements two columns of 50% each.
{column-end}
{column-50}
  Column 2: The two columns collapse into one column on mobiles.
{column-end}
{row-end}

Example 2: Three columns of 33% each
{column-33}
  Column 1: This example implements three columns of 33% each.
{column-end}
{column-33}
  Column 2: This is the middle column.
{column-end}
{column-33}
  Column 3: The three columns collapse into one column on mobiles.
{column-end}
{row-end}

Now there is an "abstraction layer" between the content and the underlying template framework that I can take advantage of when I migrate the website to another template framework e.g. Bootstrap 4 when Joomla 4 is released.

Rather than having to update every article (there are over 800 articles on this particular website), all I need to do is substitute the syntax in ReReplacer with the equivalent Bootstrap 4 code.

Webilicious Web Design and Development
webilicious.com.au
webhostingdownunder.com.au
Attachments:

Joomla made Easy 1 week 3 days ago #8677

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Thank you received: 24
Thank you, Terry, for asking a very good question.

Obviously, how people approach website design and implementation depends very much on the individual nature of that website, the purpose for which it is intended, who wants it and what features it will include.

Key to those considerations is stakeholder engagement—from the initial concept and proposal all the way through to implementation and post-implementation review of the project. And, equally importantly, is the manner by which that engagement is carried out.

I recently created a website and while I was going through the process I kept notes (as a memory aid for future website activities that I might be involved with). A summary/checklist of those activities is available at the following location:
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Equally important to stakeholder engagement is having a good plan. From the time when the initial proposal is conceptualised, website developers need to spend several hours building a plan that will consider many things such as (a) choice of a domain name (including eligibility and purchase of it), (b) choice of a hosting platform, the legals and financials, formulating policies relating to terms of use and privacy, (c) choosing how the site will be constructed (e.g. Joomla vs. something else, extensions needed, etc.) and, lastly, (d) putting the whole thing together. However, every website is different and every plan will be different. This is just an outline of some things website developers may need to consider.

Therefore, while a forum discussion such as this one may touch on some of the above considerations, the whole question of how to make things "easy" (or even how to make "Joomla" easy) is difficult to cover within a few short paragraphs.

Ultimately, of course, the ease with which one approaches website development is affected by one's skill, experience, ingenuity and imagination. Other factors, such what resources are available—time, money, people—also come into play.

The KISS principle is probably best. Keep it simple. Remember that the average attention span of people visiting a website is about 2 seconds or less. No matter how well designed a website may be, if you lose your audience in those first two seconds then the effort involved in trying to cover "everything" may be wasted.

I hope some of this helps.

Last edit: by sozzled.

Joomla made Easy 1 week 2 days ago #8678

• Terry
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hi,

for today here is one I picked up a MJUG meeting many years ago.

For sites where you provide front end creation of articles by a client or member(s) of a club or organisation. In most cases they will use the default template used by the rest of the site which can vary greatly in terms of how the page displays and which options are available to be changed. If you are providing screenshots to educate the end user on how to create their articles you have to have a version for each site so it looks familiar.

To overcome these issues you can use a more generic template, for example the supplied Protostar, for just the article create page on all your sites by changing the Template Style in the Menu item used to provide access to create or submit articles in the front end.

One limitation of this idea is that it only works for Menu items and not other links to Edit an article which will use the default template edit pages or requires you to override a layout via the template, therefore it is only really useful for creating New articles via a menu link.

Still it might be useful to you if you needs are simple.

Terry
Attachments:

Joomla made Easy 1 week 2 days ago #8679

• nicky
  • Thank you received: 12
Hey Terry, there's a plugin that allows you to edit, see Step 4 here brian.teeman.net/joomla/867-simplifying-...ntent-editing-part-1

• Page: