Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a Joomla problem? Post as much detail about it as you can here to see if you can get a solution.

Help others in the community - post your Joomla tips and how-tos here.

TOPIC: Upgrading from J1.5.25 to 1.7.3 to 2.5.....

Upgrading from J1.5.25 to 1.7.3 to 2.5..... 7 years 10 months ago #5486

G'day folks, hoping someone may be able to offer a tip or two.

Am at present looking to upgrade from 1.5.25 through 1.7.3 to the new 2.5.....

I have found the upgrade process for 1.5.25 to 1.7.3 to be fairly smooth - thanks to the many who have gone before. One issue that I did find somewhat disconcerting was the issue around categories.

In 1.5 I had a category list of countries from A-Z which I originally input by hand. However, when I checked the countries in the backend in 1.7, the information was quite jumbled, although with the original input order (correct alphabetical order).

Crux question - is there a tool (beside manual ordering) within the J1.7 / 2.5 backend that helped order the countries to the same as I had in J1.5??

Many thanks in advance.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Upgrading from J1.5.25 to 1.7.3 to 2.5..... 7 years 10 months ago #5488

• pjackson
  • Thank you received: 44
The ordering column sort in 1.7 is a little quirky. You need to click on it first to activate the column, then you can move items up and down, or enter the ordering numbers and click save at the top of the column.

The ordering issue with upgrading from 1.5 to 1.7 is mainly due to the dropping of sections to allow for the new nested category structure.

I would suggest the easiest methods (depending on how jumbled they are and how many there are) may be to:
- Use the ordering column and set them all to the same number. Saving the order then should set them all alphabetically by category as they all then have the same ordering ID.
- Once saved, it may also automatically sort them by incrementing the order too - test to find out.
- other method unfortunately would be to use phpMyAdmin to export your categories table then modify the ordering with a fill series in excel before reimporting the values again. Not a method for novices.

Hope that helps.
Patrick Jackson | Melbourne Australia | Certified Joomla Administrator
linktr.ee/partic
Ask Anything Joomla and I'll helpfully tell you where to go :)
Australian Joomla Community: fb.me/JoomlaAu
The following user(s) said Thank You: customscollector

Re: Upgrading from J1.5.25 to 1.7.3 to 2.5..... 7 years 10 months ago #5513

Partic,

Many thanks. In my case, I tried the initial suggestion of setting the ordering column to the same number - this didn't work. However, when I set the original fields up, they were set correctly, so it was only a case of re-creating/duplicating the ordering ID to set the order correctly.

Additionally, after a successful upgrade to 1.7.3, I have noted the following and would appreciate a useful pointer:

In 1.5.25 I had the following URL Domain/category/article123.htm

In 1.7.3 I now have the following URL Domain/index.php/category/article123.htm

I'd appreciate any pointers on the index.php and how to hide it, thus making a somewhat neater URL (it is probably quite easy, however I'm just marking time until 2.5 at this stage)

Many thanks, again, in advance for any pointers / assistance.
Last Edit: 7 years 10 months ago by customscollector.

Re: Upgrading from J1.5.25 to 1.7.3 to 2.5..... 7 years 10 months ago #5514

• pjackson
  • Thank you received: 44
The index.php is inserted from the set up of your 1.7 SEO.

In the global configuration, change the SEO setting to use .htaccess and the index.php will disappear. Don't forget to rename your htaccess.txt to .htaccess in your 1.7 folder if it's not already done.

I installed the 2.5 beta with no noticeable issues yesterday - looks good. Ed Andrea at OSTraining.com blogged the other day about 25 improvements which is worth reading.
Patrick Jackson | Melbourne Australia | Certified Joomla Administrator
linktr.ee/partic
Ask Anything Joomla and I'll helpfully tell you where to go :)
Australian Joomla Community: fb.me/JoomlaAu
The following user(s) said Thank You: customscollector
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds