Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a Joomla problem? Post as much detail about it as you can here to see if you can get a solution.

Help others in the community - post your Joomla tips and how-tos here.

TOPIC: Error: Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet

Error: Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet 7 years 9 months ago #5562

• mairead
  • Fresh Boarder
People have registered on our site and were able to login to our members area. Users are saying they cannot login and are getting the following error message "Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet."

Most of the time when I log in using their details I can get in, and there are times I cant either and then reenter the same password in the backend and it fixes the site. I then tell them to refresh their browser and then it works. I have been using the same login from the beginning and it happens to me too.

Why is this happening? Is it a session issue or a server issue?

I have tried extending session times, clearing browser cache, clearing site cache, logging people out from users area so they have to start a new session, turning the cache off in the global configuration.

Any help on this would be great.

Mairead
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Error: Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet 7 years 9 months ago #5565

• pjackson
  • Thank you received: 44
Mairead,

A few things to help diagnose:
Joomla Version?
Standard joomla login component and user registration, or another component?
Is the user required to click an activation email link to confirm their account?
Is it happening with all users, or just the occasional one, who may not be reading the email, or are perhaps typing their email wrong (happens a lot)?

If there's a session issue, you'll get a different message to the one that you've indicated in your post. Unfortunately, that default message doesn't help track if it's the username, password or no account as the actual issue.
Patrick Jackson | Melbourne Australia | Certified Joomla Administrator
linktr.ee/partic
Ask Anything Joomla and I'll helpfully tell you where to go :)
Australian Joomla Community: fb.me/JoomlaAu

Re: Error: Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet 7 years 9 months ago #5570

• mairead
  • Fresh Boarder
Joomla 1.5.23

Login and registration components are third part components from redmember but I even changed it back to the standard joomla components to test and we still had the same problem.

Yes they have to activate their account before they can access the members area.

Just the occasional user. Sometimes I can always log in and today for instance I got the error message. But when I attempted it again twice I got in.

I sometimes do get an 'invalid token' message when I try to log in. Again that only happens occasionally.

Thanks

Re: Error: Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet 7 years 9 months ago #5577

• pjackson
  • Thank you received: 44
As it's occasional, I would say that user error may often be to blame.

Assuming the user can create their own password during registration, it's more than likely that they are getting something wrong in the process, or the activation routine's not completing correctly.

Do the accounts that haven't worked when you try them look like they've been propertly activated?

Also, update to Joomla 1.5.25, as you might find there is a subtle update that might fix it.
Patrick Jackson | Melbourne Australia | Certified Joomla Administrator
linktr.ee/partic
Ask Anything Joomla and I'll helpfully tell you where to go :)
Australian Joomla Community: fb.me/JoomlaAu

Re: Error: Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet 7 years 9 months ago #5579

• mairead
  • Fresh Boarder
We actually entered all the users in and turned off the activation email when doing so then just turned it on when going live. So I think most users who had the problem were the ones we had entered in the backend.

If I do the update will this affect anything else? Can you do the update through the admin area or do I need to do it manually?

Thanks

Re: Error: Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet 7 years 9 months ago #5580

• mairead
  • Fresh Boarder
Its ok I have installed admin tools by akeeba so I will update using this component and hopefully this will fix a number of these issues.
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds