Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a Joomla problem? Post as much detail about it as you can here to see if you can get a solution.

Help others in the community - post your Joomla tips and how-tos here.

TOPIC: JCE editor not working correctly

JCE editor not working correctly 7 years 5 months ago #6187

• neilforrester
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Hello,

I am having a problem using JCE Editor on sites that are not live. What I mean by that is the name servers have not yet been updated so the websites have temporary names like the following until the DNS is resolved:
malibu.websitewelcome.com/~revoluti

When I create websites I use K2 for content and the JCE Editor so that I can link to K2 content. Recently (beginning Monday in fact) my editor began to not work correctly. When ever I click the link icon to create an internal link, a modal box should pop up to reveal the tools/options. When I click the link icon now the modal box pops up but the tools/options take ages to load or don't load in some instances.

I have narrowed it down to the fact this only happens on the sites that are not live though.

When I view what's happening in Firebug it seems that there is a call to another IP address which is a Hostgator IP, as I use Hostgator for my hosting. I'm not sure why it's started or how to fix it. I have spent 2 days trying to fix the issue as I work on most of my sites before the DNS can be resolved.

Has anyone else had this problem or any ideas on how to fix it please. It's driving me mad.

I have attached the Firefbug screen shot if that might help.

Many thanks in advance,
Neil.
Neil Forrester
www.pixelfire.com.au
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: JCE editor not working correctly 7 years 5 months ago #6189

• MaxTech
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Hi Neil,
I haven't had the "exact" same problem as this - however have had not dissimilar problems with not live sites in a xxx/~xxxx
I found that setting the absolute url in the .htaccess file fixed up the issues prior to the new DNS resolution propagating/being set.
Important thing to note is make sure you update the .htaccess file again when going live or updating the DNS resolution.
It is always a pain trying to develop when on a temporary directory, but the above has fixed issues for me previously.
Hope that helps, Max.
Founder & CEO @ molehill.com.au & successeng.in
Partner @ joostrap.com - Joomla! Website Templates & Responsive Web Design

Re: JCE editor not working correctly 7 years 5 months ago #6190

• pjackson
  • Thank you received: 44
Neil,

Assuming you'reusing the latest JCE version? And a 2.5.4 site?

Put malibu.websitewelcome.com/~revoluti as the value for $live_site in your configuration.php file, and you might find it fixes it. Update $live_site to the proper value when that loads.

http://<ip address>/~revoluti would probably also work.

If you're using .htaccess for SEF urls, you might also want to uncomment the line to do with the site's folder and put in /~revoluti which may also help.

Patrick
Patrick Jackson | Melbourne Australia | Certified Joomla Administrator
linktr.ee/partic
Ask Anything Joomla and I'll helpfully tell you where to go :)
Australian Joomla Community: fb.me/JoomlaAu

Re: JCE editor not working correctly 7 years 5 months ago #6191

• neilforrester
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Max and Patrick,

Thank you very much for the advice. It sounds like I might be able to resolve this issue hopefully which I am very happy about :)

Max, can you tell me exactly what code/syntax I would use to set the absolute URL in the .htaccess file please.

Patrick, I will give your idea a go too. I have found I can't use the SEF URL's on temp sites though. It usually give me a blank page if I try that - probably due to the Hostgator configuration.

I'm going to give both these options a go now. Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Neil.
Neil Forrester
www.pixelfire.com.au

Re: JCE editor not working correctly 7 years 5 months ago #6192

• neilforrester
  • Senior Boarder
Hello,

I tried changing the configuration.php as you suggested Patrick and that didn't work unfortunately.

Max, I have had a look on how to write the code for the .htaccess and I'm not sure on how to write it. If you could tell me that part I will give it a goo and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks again for all the help.

Neil.
Neil Forrester
www.pixelfire.com.au

Re: JCE editor not working correctly 7 years 5 months ago #6193

• MaxTech
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Neil,
As per Patricks comment above using "malibu.websitewelcome.com/~revoluti" in config/htaccess (as opposed to "/") may fix the issue (may even need http:// as well).
Never used hostgator, so can't advise if something they've set may cause the issue, but have heard of issues in the past with their default shared hosting - may also want to post a support ticket with them and see if they are aware of anything particular to their setup which may affect operation/settings.
Hope it works for you.

Re: JCE editor not working correctly 7 years 5 months ago #6194

• neilforrester
  • Senior Boarder
Okay - I have tried all the options suggested now and they're not working unfortunately. I think the best way around this problem for me is to buy a staging domain name and create my sites on a a 'live' URL so that the JCE editors work. I also tried JCK Editor as well and had similar issues.

Not to worry - thanks again for the help.

Cheers,
Neil.
Neil Forrester
www.pixelfire.com.au

Re: JCE editor not working correctly 7 years 5 months ago #6195

• MaxTech
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Neil,
Just do an install in a sub-directory that only you know the name of (ie. not dev) of your current site. This way you can develop as you wish, with a real domain - it won't affect the main site.
When ready, just move it across to the new server/account/domain - easy-peasy and avoids all these problems.
Max
---
edit: or create a sub-domain to work in (eg.newsite1.mydomain,com) - this keeps it's (almost) completely separate.
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by MaxTech.

Re: JCE editor not working correctly 7 years 5 months ago #6196

• pjackson
I'm assuming the domain you're eventually going to have pointed to it is set up for the account.

If so, on a PC you can edit /windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts and add a line to trick your computer into having a local dns entry pointing that domain to the server's IP address.

There's something similar for macs, but I don't know the specifics of it.
linktr.ee/partic

Re: JCE editor not working correctly 7 years 5 months ago #6197

• neilforrester
  • Senior Boarder
I made a decision to buy another domain name for my 'work in progress' websites. I will create client sub folders on this site to develop the various sites I have on the go.

I decided to do this rather than create folders or sub directories on my own website because I didn't want the content of my 'work in progress websites' to dilute the content/SEO of my primary website pixelfire.com.au

I have read that the content of sub directories and folders can affect the SEO of the primary website.

Anyway, I've tested Joomla and the JCE Editor on my new domain and all is working fine now, so it's definitely something to do with having a temporary URL. The issue just seem to come out of the blue which makes me think Hostgator must have changed something on my reseller server.

Thank you very much again for both of your help. I have it resolved now in a round about way :)

Cheers,
Neil.
Neil Forrester
www.pixelfire.com.au

Re: JCE editor not working correctly 7 years 5 months ago #6198

• pjackson
If left visible, yes, subdomains can be an SEO nightmare.

By blocking the subdomain in the robots.txt file, you make the subfolders invisible, thus not impacting on the SEO.
linktr.ee/partic

Re: JCE editor not working correctly 7 years 5 months ago #6199

• neilforrester
  • Senior Boarder
Brilliant - I hadn't thought of that. Good idea. I'm all set now though and just feeling happier about the whole thing.
Cheers,
Neil.
Neil Forrester
www.pixelfire.com.au
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds