Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a Joomla problem? Post as much detail about it as you can here to see if you can get a solution.

Help others in the community - post your Joomla tips and how-tos here.

TOPIC: Single URL Permission denied because of Flooding - on a single URL

Single URL Permission denied because of Flooding - on a single URL 7 years 1 month ago #6610

• DrDrew
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello board,

On a single URL I have access denied with the following error: 'Forbidden access (Flooding)'

I have deleted the trash, removed the sh404 URL and have the same problem. While Im waiting on a host response, I just thought I would ask - has anyone else had this issue or any suggestions where to start looking?

cheers
D
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Single URL Permission denied because of Flooding - on a single URL 7 years 1 month ago #6611

• pjackson
  • Thank you received: 44
Flooding control is an sh404SEF security feature.

It's where there are more than X requests in a space of Y seconds from the one IP address.

As such, commonly:
- flooding errors occur where a company site is being used by multiple users via the one external facing IP address
- flooding occurs where you're testing a site and refreshing it more than X times in Y seconds

My recommendation is to turn off the security functions (or at least the flooding control) in the sh404SEF configuration, as it's also been found that on larger sites that the security functions can slow down the responsiveness of a site also. When other tools are installed (eg admin tools, rs firewall, properly configured hosting) then the sh404SEF security functions are often taken care of elsewhere.

If you want to leave flood control on, you can also just increase the number of hits in a time period, and the time period itself, and you'll then find flooding errors will be harder to achieve.

Patrick
Patrick Jackson | Melbourne Australia | Certified Joomla Administrator
linktr.ee/partic
Ask Anything Joomla and I'll helpfully tell you where to go :)
Australian Joomla Community: fb.me/JoomlaAu
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrDrew

Single URL Permission denied because of Flooding - on a single URL 7 years 1 month ago #6614

• DrDrew
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey Patrick,

Thanks for the heads up. Now I know what I'm looking at I can follow that through.
I have Admin Tools Pro and RS Firewall active and saw that there are some similarities in the features.

I think we've just found a great future topic for the SJUG to work on, 'comparing the three components, Admin tools! RS Firewall and sh404' and which component should best control what security feature. I'd love to get a comparison table up on that and file it under Security.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge mate
Cheers
D
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds