Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a Joomla problem? Post as much detail about it as you can here to see if you can get a solution.

Help others in the community - post your Joomla tips and how-tos here.

TOPIC: Anyone used JomSocial & DT Register

Anyone used JomSocial & DT Register 6 years 7 months ago #6889

• MaxTech
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Hey guys I m needing to implement some pretty advanced calendaring functionality that requires iCal sync and sharing of a schedules across a social network with diff ACL and sharing options.

Using DT Register within Jomsocial may get me there, but perhaps another option?

Has anyone used DT Register for this type of thing with JomSocial before?

Other suggestions or advice?

Thanks in advance, Max
Founder & CEO @ molehill.com.au & successeng.in
Partner @ joostrap.com - Joomla! Website Templates & Responsive Web Design
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anyone used JomSocial & DT Register 6 years 7 months ago #6890

• rsearle
  • Expert Boarder
  • I build and integrate serious business web applications using the best free open source platforms
  • Thank you received: 25
Max,

I'm not clear on your requirement, but I got selective calendar sharing to work on a recent social media site (not a Joomla! site) using only Google Calendar and existing ACL facilities in the product.

On a Joomla! site, I would be looking at building custom calendar sharing logic onto JomSocial (or whatever) using ChronoForms. But the calendar display in JomSocial might be a separate issue.

Good luck,

Russell
Psicom

Anyone used JomSocial & DT Register 6 years 7 months ago #6891

• MaxTech
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Russell

Thanks for your reply... if it was only as easy as using Google calendar would be a walk in the park ... but a lot more required.

It's basically an industry specific community site which has access to and personal and group abilities to chare calendar specific information (connections only, personal, group (a,b,c,d,etc), dif types of member levels, member type/level and geo specific and type groups/memberships admin managed and/or member managed, etc... quite a lot of rules and functionality here.

JomSocial gives this type of functionality generally, but no specific type thing that ticks ALL boxes for the calendaring -> which is why I'm looking as far a field as an event management plugin... but actually seems like that may be easiest way to do it.

Been looking at things on JED like zCalendar ... but think an event/scheduling app may be the better way to go.

Also, needs to connect to members own calendar applications on their phone, desktop, online (eg. google apps) so that auto-updates from their own calendar iCal / mobile / outlook etc apps into the online community calendars - which then has to serve and restrict the information as per above - awesome ;)

How would you use ChronoForms to manage calendar sharing logic? Sharing logic is what would control display - inserting into the right areas/jomsocial on the site is not a problem.

I haven't used CB for a few years, so haven't really had an in depth look at it for this project - so even if that's an option I'd love to hear any experiences with calendaring control as I've discussed above (even happy to look outside Joomla if it meets the requirement)

Anyone used JomSocial & DT Register 6 years 7 months ago #6892

• rsearle
  • Expert Boarder
  • I build and integrate serious business web applications using the best free open source platforms
  • Thank you received: 25
Hi Max,

It seems to me that the heart of the problem is the complexity of the distribution rules for the calendar updates. But if you think that JomSocial can implement those rules, then I'll take your word for it.

As for ChronoForms, it is open enough that you can write any code into a ChronoForm (PHP, JavaScript, CSS or HTML) and then call it from somewhere else with a URI, which may contain parameters. You can create your own events for a ChronoForm, which is effectively the same as implementing an object with its own methods inside Joomla! You can even call a ChronoForm in a RESTful manner, if you define RESTful events for it.

So you could build a ChronoForm that might (amongst other things) construct ICal documents (conforming to RFC2445) from any data source that the web server can see, and send them to any URI (eg. an ICal server). Or conversely, a ChronoForm might retrieve ICal documents from an ICal server (or CalDAV, or any other web service), and process them for output to some view, or the database or whatever.

ChronoForms is Joomla!'s Swiss army knife. Very powerful, but you also have to know which instrument to use or you could end up cutting yourself.

But these are just general comments about the way I might approach data-bound problems in Joomla! It sounds like you have at least some of the pieces sorted out with off-the-shelf components. You say that inserting calendar information into JomSocial or other destinations on the site is not a problem, so it seems that an approach like the one I've suggested is not relevant to your solution.

Once again, best of luck,

Russell
Psicom

Anyone used JomSocial & DT Register 6 years 7 months ago #6913

• normdouglas
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Max I've been using DT Register now for about 6 years... it's not perfect but is powerful.

Skype me if you need any assistance
Rules for Website development:
Step 1: Backup
Step 2: Refer step 1

Anyone used JomSocial & DT Register 6 years 7 months ago #6914

• MaxTech
  • Gold Boarder
awesome - thanks Norm.

Anyone used JomSocial & DT Register 6 years 7 months ago #6915

• ywsolution
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Careful of DT Register - I've been riping out the little hair I have trying to get it to work.
My needs are simple - got a 2 day conference 6 events on at the same time and 5 time slots - so 30 events per day.
In house conference so no need for money or any of the fancy registration data collection that DTR can do.
DTR has a view of the world that a category an event is in is THE most import thing - in fact really the only thing. The ONLY way you display events is by bloody category - not a sensible thing like date and time - I've got 16 categories!
You are unable to rearrange events - the only thing that is sortable is category!
In the back end no table is sortable. After 2 days of entering data I discovered the calendar will not load for day or week in IE - we all hate IE but the company this is for it is their default browser - bugger!
Support with Jomsocial is poor - shows events the person has registered for BUT only the day NOT the time so people have a list of 5 events on the same day but don't know when they are on!
Support from the developers is - nothing - not after 7 days - many on the forums say the same thing.
You may find a single event on a single day that this works for you but a multi-event conference pushes it way past its limits
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozneilau

Anyone used JomSocial & DT Register 6 years 7 months ago #6916

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
  • Joomla Fanatic
  • Thank you received: 13
There seem to be many happy DT Register users but I'm not one of them.

The worst disservice I ever did for a client was recommending DT Register and I urge you to test every feature you intend to use on their online demo to ensure it is a good fit for what you want to do.

One of the most unpleasant things about DTH Development is that they delete posts in their forums that they don't like and it can be very frustrating getting support for anything that isn't an easy fix. This is not good for a commercial product.

Neil.
Webilicious Web Design and Development
webilicious.com.au
webhostingdownunder.com.au

Anyone used JomSocial & DT Register 6 years 7 months ago #6917

• MaxTech
  • Gold Boarder
So...

Community component ..... like Jomsocial or Community Builder.

Calendar & scheduling component (see above reqs) ..... open to suggestions ..... ????

.... anyone done something like this with components/plug-ins ... happy to look at any & all possibilities.

.... dreading have to develop custom application from scratch with available budget being fairly minimal.

Thanks guys ;)
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds