Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a Joomla problem? Post as much detail about it as you can here to see if you can get a solution.

Help others in the community - post your Joomla tips and how-tos here.

TOPIC: Akeeba Backup - JPA or ZIP

Akeeba Backup - JPA or ZIP 10 months 2 weeks ago #8529

• Terry
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 11
Hi,

On the odd occasions I find a .JPA file from Akeeba that I can't restore so I have just tried out the .ZIP format on a site and a file size comparison between the two is 322Mb vs 323.8MB, with the .Zip being slightly larger. The .JPA format is unique to Akeeba and as far as I could find has no recovery toys if things go wrong whereas .zip has a shed load of available toys to fix things.

Can anyone share the reason why we should prefer a .JPA over a common .Zip for the back ups?

Is there anyone else not using the .JPA Format for their back ups who would like to share their reasoning?

Terry
Technical consulting, problem solving, custom development & programming and making square pegs fit in round holes with Joomla. You can find me at www.irataweb.com.au or 0409 942 896
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Terry.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Akeeba Backup - JPA or ZIP 10 months 2 weeks ago #8530

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
  • Joomla Fanatic
  • Thank you received: 15
Webilicious Web Design and Development
webilicious.com.au
webhostingdownunder.com.au

Akeeba Backup - JPA or ZIP 10 months 2 weeks ago #8531

• Terry
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 11
Hi,

Thanks Neil, that was the sort of thing I was looking for, a technical reason why .JPA is better than .Zip, particularly on larger sites.

In the handful of cases where I couldn't get either Kickstart or Extract to restore a file it wasn't really an issue because I was just trying to build a local environment and so I would just get a fresh back up and they tended to work, but I did wonder what happens if I am trying to recover a hacked or lost site and the back up is corrupted or unusable. I know we should, but I haven't really got the time to test every back up at the time it is taken to make sure it works.

And then the other day on an unrelated search I fell across this article, www.itoctopus.com/why-we-dont-recommend-...king-up-joomla-sites, which goes against the conventional wisdom. There is very little I agree with in their reasoning but it did start me looking closer at JPA vs Zip.

Thanks again,
Terry
Technical consulting, problem solving, custom development & programming and making square pegs fit in round holes with Joomla. You can find me at www.irataweb.com.au or 0409 942 896
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Terry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozneilau

Akeeba Backup - JPA or ZIP 10 months 2 weeks ago #8532

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
  • Joomla Fanatic
  • Thank you received: 15
Hi Terry,

There is lots of great Joomla advice from itoctopus.com but I don't share their view on Akeeba Backup.

Akeeba Backup has been rock solid for the last 10 years or so (since before it was called Akeeba) and I'm happy to pay my subscription each year to help ensure Nicholas is still around to keep doing what he does.

I noticed the Akeeba eXtract Wizard no longer seems to be featured on the Akeeba download page. For anyone else who stumbles across this post, the eXtract Wizard (which runs on your local machine and has Windows, Mac and Linux versions available to decompress JPA files) can be found at: github.com/akeeba/nativexplatform/releases
Webilicious Web Design and Development
webilicious.com.au
webhostingdownunder.com.au

Akeeba Backup - JPA or ZIP 10 months 2 weeks ago #8533

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Thank you received: 25
FWIW, I use the .JPA file(s) with Akeeba Kickstart. The .ZIP files are useful if one wants to extract folders/files from the archive and play with them on your PC.
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds