Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a Joomla problem? Post as much detail about it as you can here to see if you can get a solution.

Help others in the community - post your Joomla tips and how-tos here.

TOPIC: Documentation for End users to get started with Joomla.

Documentation for End users to get started with Joomla. 5 months 1 week ago #8576

• Terry
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 11
Hi,

I am looking for any suggestions or recommendations of where I could direct some end users who want to make changes to their website that I have built for them. Something that covers the basic concepts of Joomla/CMS ,Articles, Menus, Modules and how to edit them that there is a front end and back end, and why uploading pictures isn't as simple as using Faceboook or Instagram etc.

I have looked at the Joomla Docs pages and it is more about getting started with installing your Joomla environment and less of a Guide to Using Joomla.

TIA,
Terry
Technical consulting, problem solving, custom development & programming and making square pegs fit in round holes with Joomla. You can find me at www.irataweb.com.au or 0409 942 896
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Documentation for End users to get started with Joomla. 5 months 1 week ago #8577

• snaffle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
You might want to have a look at OSTraining's online courses - www.ostraining.com/class/beginner/

While it covers installs etc, there's also a "Content" section on that page where the majority of tutorials are free... might be a good starting point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozneilau

Documentation for End users to get started with Joomla. 5 months 1 week ago #8578

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
  • Joomla Fanatic
  • Thank you received: 15
Webilicious Web Design and Development
webilicious.com.au
webhostingdownunder.com.au

Documentation for End users to get started with Joomla. 5 months 1 week ago #8579

• tuum
  • Thank you received: 63
***Shameless plug for JoomlaDay Australia***
Send them along to JoomlaDay Australia 2019 in Brisbane on 3rd - 4th August, we have a a couple of hours of Joomla for Beginners which will cover this kind of thing, and they can take their own notes. All sessions included in ticket price.
joomladay.org.au/
Follow me on twitter twitter.com/bfsurvey

Documentation for End users to get started with Joomla. 5 months 1 week ago #8580

• Terry
  • Administrator
Hi,

thank you to those that have replied, including the shamelss plug. :)

I am a paid up memberr of Joomlashack so I had looked at the OST videos and like most of what I found in the links suggested they are good quality tutorials and has me re-thinkng a few things about what I might do, but they still all lack the entry level stuff for an end user I am looking for.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Terry
Technical consulting, problem solving, custom development & programming and making square pegs fit in round holes with Joomla. You can find me at www.irataweb.com.au or 0409 942 896

Documentation for End users to get started with Joomla. 5 months 1 week ago #8581

• snaffle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Terry,

For a lot of our clients we record specific "How To" videos for them just focused on whatever specific task it is they need to do, so if you want something really basic and tailored to the client, that approach might be worth considering.

Mind you I can't stand the sound of my own voice so I got someone else to do it :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terry

Documentation for End users to get started with Joomla. 5 months 1 week ago #8582

• Terry
  • Administrator
Hi Snaffle,

That is kind of what I was hoping to avoid, not just because I think my voice sounds worse than yours. :)

Where my thinking is starting to change over the last 24 hours as I have got into this subject of end user learning for Joomla is to maybe write a small overview or introduction specific to the task or need they have and then point them to the most appropriate tutorials that give them the details in the way I think will make the most sense to their level of understanding. Perhaps putting the 3rd party tutorial into some context.

How this has come about is I lost a client to Weebly last week as a result of a new memberr of staff(family member) was given the job of updating the website and they went of to learn Joomla and managed to break the site and before contacting me, rebuilt it on Weebly and convinced Dad that Weebly was much easier to use. After figuring out what they had done to the site I followed their learning path and found they came in at trying to set up a template and things went down hill from there. There was nothing really wrong with the tutorial they followed, just that they didn't grasp that this wasn't what they needed to learn.

So this week I happen to have another client asking to update their own site and I want to make sure I make it as easy and straightforward as I can for them rather than letting them loose on the Internet to learn Joomla.

Terry
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Terry.
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds