Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a Joomla problem? Post as much detail about it as you can here to see if you can get a solution.

Help others in the community - post your Joomla tips and how-tos here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

[SOLVED] Home menu not pointing home 2 months 4 weeks ago #8732

• jennymac
  • jennymac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I was asked to update a website I manage as a volunteer because they have new staff. One of the requests was to fix the home button because it was not going home. (Hate to think how long that error has been there - just no-one noticed - including me! oops!)
At the moment I have hidden the menu.
First attachement is the beautiful menu with the home button.
Second attachment is the page to which I am redirected when I click home.
Third attachment is the setting of that home menu - featured article and only one possible featured article.
I am sure it is a simple fix, but I have read so many articles and watched a dozen videos without getting anywhere and would love your help.
Thanks.
Jenny
Jenny McWilliam
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by pjackson. Reason: Solved for Jenny.

Home menu not pointing home 2 months 4 weeks ago #8733

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Joomla Fanatic
  • Thank you received: 20
Hi Jenny,

This is tricky to diagnose without access to the website.

I'd try the following:
  • try setting the "live_site" parameter to empty in the configuration.php file if it's not already
  • temporarily switching off Search Engine Friendly URLs
  • temporarily switching off URL Rewriting
  • temporarily renaming the .htaccess file

Hopefully this will help narrow down the issue

Neil
Webilicious Web Design and Development
webilicious.com.au
webhostingdownunder.com.au

Home menu not pointing home 2 months 4 weeks ago #8734

• tuum
  • Thank you received: 60
First thing I'd check is the live_site setting in your configuration.php
Follow me on twitter twitter.com/bfsurvey

Home menu not pointing home 2 months 4 weeks ago #8735

• jennymac
  • jennymac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks Tim & Neil.
live_site was already blank
Renaming .htaccess file made no change
URL rewriting was already switched off
Initially turning off the SEF worked, but after testing all the other things I went back and off the SEF again but the error had returned.
I have hidden the home menu again for now.
If you have any other suggestions I am open to try.
Many thanks :)
Jenny
Jenny McWilliam

Home menu not pointing home 2 months 4 weeks ago #8736

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Joomla Fanatic
Hi Jenny,

Try disabling any SEF components e.g. sh404SEF and/or purging urls / clearing the Joomla cache to see if that makes any difference.

Check if there are any redirects defined in the Redirects Component.

Neil
Webilicious Web Design and Development
webilicious.com.au
webhostingdownunder.com.au

Last edit: by ozneilau.

Home menu not pointing home 2 months 4 weeks ago #8737

• tuum
Adding to what Neil has suggested, I would try disabling the plugin "System - Redirect" and see if that makes any difference. This will help troubleshoot if a redirect is causing the problem. If it works with plugin disabled, find the entry in components->redirect and delete it, then turn the plugin back on.

The other thing I'd try is to take a full backup of the site and restore it to my localhost, and see if it has the same problem. Often these types of issues are easier to troubleshoot on your local pc. You could literally turn things off one at a time (like disabling plugins and components) and use a process of elimination to determine what is causing it.

regards

Tim

Home menu not pointing home 2 months 4 weeks ago #8738

• Terry
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Jenny,

in your second image the URL is going to a subdomain of gilead.demojoomla.com:81 which is a south east Asian based word press site apparently demo'ing Joomla.

In addition to what's been suggested I would also check your hosting account and in particular look at the Domain settings for Sub-domains, Redirects and DNS Zone editor(if your are not using cPanel you should find something similar). You are looking for anything that mentions demojoomla.com or Port 81.

While in your hosting account, look in the file manager for folders with demojoomla.com in the name.

As Neil says difficult help more without access to sniff around but you could be looking at this being a hacked site.

Beside the dodgy wordpress site, I can't think of any reason to be going to Port 81, the default is Port 80 for non-secured pages, so either someone has fat fingers at some stage in setting up that site or you are being directed there for naughty reasons.

Terry
Technical consulting, problem solving, custom development & programming and making square pegs fit in round holes with Joomla. You can find me at www.irataweb.com.au or 0409 942 896

Last edit: by Terry.

Home menu not pointing home 2 months 4 weeks ago #8739

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Thank you received: 25
This is puzzling. In the OP there are three images. The first image refers to a legitimate J! website which, in doing my own digging-around, I found to relate to a counselling service. I'm not sure how the second image (which points, as @Terry says, to a WP website) figures in the scheme of things unless there's some bizarre or ill-intended soft/hard-coded redirection in play (as @tuum and @ozneilau have previously mentioned).

The third of the three images shows us the menu item settings for a menu item with the title "Home", but is this really the default/home menu item?

So I went to the website that I mentioned earlier and even though there is no item on the menu labelled "Home", when I clicked the logo at the top left (or entered www.targetdomain.com.au/home) I was not redirected elsewhere. My question, therefore, is simple: are we talking about the website that I found or are we talking about a different website—a website that has some strange redirection in play?

Home menu not pointing home 2 months 4 weeks ago #8740

• Terry
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi,

the Home menu in the first picture has been Hidden as mentioned in Jenny's second post. The Home menu setting in the 3rd image are from the hidden Home menu.

The website you found is the genuine site, now with a hidden Home menu that was sending people to demojoomla.com:81 site.

Terry
Technical consulting, problem solving, custom development & programming and making square pegs fit in round holes with Joomla. You can find me at www.irataweb.com.au or 0409 942 896

Home menu not pointing home 2 months 4 weeks ago #8741

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
Thanks, Terry. I get all that. Let's look at the third image (the one with the title "Home"); it's clear from that image that the alias is "home". I get the part about hidden menu items but that's probably not relevant.

If someone enters the URL www.targetdomain/home, J! uses the "home" bit to find either (a) a folder with that name or (b) an alias that uses that name. Moreover, Apache gets a bit choosy when it comes to URLs and any alias or folder name must be properly cased. In other words, www.targetdomain/home and www.targetdomain/Home would be treated differently.

So let's look at this again. If you go to the site that I found, the default menu item displays a J! website. If you enter www.targetdomain/home then you get the same page. Where is this redirection to a WP site coming from? Is it coming from the site that I looked at or has it infiltrated a different website that we don't yet know about? I think that's the real question, isn't it?

Home menu not pointing home 2 months 4 weeks ago #8742

• Terry
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi,

further looking around at demojoomla.com it looks like it was once a valid service for spinning up a Joomla site to play with with so perhaps this gilead site had it origins there back about 4 years ago when it seems it was a legitimate service offered by siteground much like launch.joomla.org is now.

I found reputable links to sub-domain sites built on the Domain from JoomlaArt, JSE and Joomlas own github pages. I also found reports of malware and unfriendly stuff on some subdomains.

It could be this problem is just a bit of left over hardcoding of the original URL that hasn't been changed as it was carried across to its own domain.

Terry

Home menu not pointing home 2 months 4 weeks ago #8743

• tuum

Terry wrote: Hi,
It could be this problem is just a bit of left over hardcoding of the original URL that hasn't been changed as it was carried across to its own domain.

Yes this is possible, I would check your index.php file in your template folder and see if there is any hard coding of that old url.

Home menu not pointing home 2 months 4 weeks ago #8745

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
Thanks @tuum and @Terry but, as I mentioned twice earlier, I went to the real website (not the "demojoomla" one) and I did not see a problem. So my unanswered question remains: what website are we discussing?

BTW, if you use the non SEF URL (instead of the "hidden" home menu item), namely targetdomain/index.php?option=com_content&view=featured it works fine, too, without any redirection.

This message contains confidential information

Last edit: by sozzled.

[SOLVED] Home menu not pointing home 2 months 3 weeks ago #8753

• pjackson
  • Thank you received: 36
Connected with Jenny tonight and figured out where the problem was hiding.

- Cpanel file manager wasn't set to show hidden files (.dotfiles) so Jenny had only been looking at copies of .htaccess without a . in front.
- Resolving that then found a line in the .htaccess that showed index.php was set to redirect to the demojoomla.com site, a hangover since 2017 when the site was activated.
- Resetting .htaccess to a copy the default htaccess.txt then fixed the problem.
- A run through the settings of Admin Tools .htaccess maker to then clean out the incorrect URLs at the bottom of the maker then further added all the .htaccess maker extras Admin Tools provides.

So now [website URL] has the Home button again and it goes where it's supposed to when SEF URLs are on using URL Rewriting (though the .htaccess file was affecting the redirection when it also was not set to use URL Rewriting as the incorrect line also redirected when index.php was in the URL).
Patrick Jackson | Melbourne Australia | Certified Joomla Administrator
kps.fyi/pj
volunteers.joomla.org/joomlers/213-patrick-jackson
Australian Joomla Community: joomla.org.au/get-help
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozneilau

Last edit: by sozzled. Reason: Removed the URL (it was the wrong URL) but can be restored if the OP wants to mention its name.

[SOLVED] Home menu not pointing home 2 months 3 weeks ago #8755

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
Yes, I now see the Home menu item on the site's pages. Good work, @pjackson.

• Page: