Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a Joomla problem? Post as much detail about it as you can here to see if you can get a solution.

Help others in the community - post your Joomla tips and how-tos here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Page speed tests 2 months 4 weeks ago #8748

• buipy001
  • buipy001's Avatar Topic Author
  • Peter Bui
  • Thank you received: 20
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has decent page speed test results and google page insight scores from Joomla at all lately?

Last time I tried, I couldn't get a decent score without spending weeks optimising every last aspect.

Just rebuilt a WordPress site and the page insights scores are decent. Only the server holding it back.

Hit 100% on GTMetrics for PageSpeed. 96% for ySlow. that's also with a page builder.

Joomla still the same?
Peter Bui

The only limitation is your imagination
pbwebdev.com

Twitter: twitter.com/astroboysoup
Facebook: facebook.com/pbwebdev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Page speed tests 2 months 4 weeks ago #8749

• sozzled
  • I'm just a user, mate!
  • Thank you received: 25
Unnghhh! I was nearly finished replying to you but I accidentally pressed the back button on the keyboard and I lost everything I wrote. I hate the K template that's used on this website and I wish they would change it to something that's properly supported! Off-topic, I know, but I wanted to get that off my chest.

Even so, as best as my memory of what I wrote before fumble fingers got into the act, first of all, "G'day, Peter".

I usually give these "Oh-my-God-can-I-improve-my-GTmetrix-score" discussions a wide berth because, in the grand scheme of things, the two most important indicators of a successful website are bounce rate and session length. If the bounce rate is high, that's a good indication that a website's visitors are disinterested in the site contents (and they're not prepared to stick around waiting for pages to load) especially if session length is high. If session length is low it probably means that people are just not interested in looking at the website regardless of how blindingly-fast the pages load. So, while optimising the bejesus out of page load times can be an interesting exercise, it's difficult to compare the horses in these kinds of races.

Because you have contributed a lot to J! over the years, I ran a couple of those page load score testers on a vanilla-flavoured, out-of-the-box, no-frills, J! 3.9.21 website that has Protostar, no images and no server-side caching. I don't think you could get more basic than that.

Google Page Insights [GPI] gave this site a 98 (desktop) and 90 (mobile). GPI "complained" (if that's the right word) that the site wasn't using caching and so the CSS and Javascript libraries weren't loading super-fast. GTmetrix scored the site A/96%) (desktop view) with a YSlow of B/87%. So, for what it's worth, that's what I found.

You probably don't want to know how this page ( joomla.org.au/forum/q-a-tips-tricks/7344-page-speed-tests ) scores but, as I said in the introduction, website design is probably more about whether the content is useful rather than how fast that content appears on a browser.

Page speed tests 2 months 4 weeks ago #8750

• pjackson
  • Thank you received: 36
It can be done.

This is a site launched a week ago. But to get it there's a few caveats. Getting to 100% took about an hour of minor tweaks this afternoon.
  • Before starting some final optimisations today to answer the forum post, it was running an Akeeba Admin Tools .htaccess file and pulling an 81/75
  • Next up I'd not turned JCH Optimise on, so installed that and set it to Optimal - moved it up to 92/87
  • GTMetrix gave me some images to download the compressed versions of, so uploading those pushed the pagespeed up a point
  • YSlow asked for a CDN, so creatively using subdomains to create pseudo-CDN's using Regular Labs CDN plugin, that struck a few more points off YSlow
  • So with all that done, we're then sitting at 93/92 with just three final issues.
  • The site had three externally sourced features: Google Analytics, Google ReCaptcha and Font Awesome. This trifecta fail three GTMetrix indicators: Defer parsing of Javascript (where the ReCaptcha JS loads is not the right place), Leverage browser caching (external links are difficult to control the settings of) and Expires Headers (you can't set external sites file expires headers). So for the purposes of testing, turning the three of those off gives the magic numbers: 100/100.

Obviously, the combo of Google Analytics, ReCaptcha and Font Awesome all have their place, so they're now back on.

Some end game workarounds to getting that 100 back include:
  • Download the identified files, then upload them to your site with a Regular Labs ReReplacer rule or direct coding to load the local copy instead of the remote.
  • Stop using third party external resources.
  • Font Awesome you can download and install files yourself - fontawesome.com
  • Look at alternative analytics tools like Matamo which have an on premise version: matomo.org/matomo-on-premise/
  • Find an alternative spam prevention plugin that installs locally.

The reward for bypassing Google I don't see as critical, so this site is sticking with how I have it installed at the moment.

Next is to work on getting the site some traffic and keep the bounce rate low.
Patrick Jackson | Melbourne Australia | Certified Joomla Administrator
kps.fyi/pj
volunteers.joomla.org/joomlers/213-patrick-jackson
Australian Joomla Community: joomla.org.au/get-help
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozneilau

Last edit: by pjackson.

Page speed tests 2 months 4 weeks ago #8751

• Terry
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
PJ,

The two pretty 100% looks lovely but 9.3s for a 1mb page seems a bit sloooow to me if the wisdom is for sub two second page loads then how meaningful is getting 100%

I prefer to use www.webpagetest.org as the free version has a Sydney node which takes out some of the OS lag.

Terry
Technical consulting, problem solving, custom development & programming and making square pegs fit in round holes with Joomla. You can find me at www.irataweb.com.au or 0409 942 896

Page speed tests 2 months 4 weeks ago #8752

• ozneilau
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Joomla Fanatic
As Terry points out, the scores on their own don't tell the whole story and if a website I'm looking after loads in less than a second or two for the intended audience, then I don't usually waste time optimising the site for speed or improving the GTMetrix score.

To answer Peter's question, I haven't done many WordPress websites but one recent simple website using GeneratePress scores an A in PageSpeed and a B in YSlow and loads in less than a second while a WordPress/WooCommerce website I am building (where the client prefers I use the Astra Theme) is scoring an E in PageSpeed and a D in YSlow and loads in about three seconds.

The most recent websites I am building on Helix Ultimate in Joomla are scoring Bs and Cs and loading in a second or two which is adequate and I'm not inclined to optimise these further unless the client specifically asks me.

I think it really depends on the template / theme / framework you are using and you shouldn't take the scores too seriously if the pages load quickly. For example, GTMetrix seems to recommend enabling a CDN but this won't necessarily improve your page load times in Australia for Australian website visitors.

Terry, you can create a free account with GTMetrix and set the Default Test Server Region to Sydney in the User Settings so that tests always default to the Sydney node once you log in.
Webilicious Web Design and Development
webilicious.com.au
webhostingdownunder.com.au
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terry

Page speed tests 2 months 3 weeks ago #8754

• pjackson
  • Thank you received: 36
If nothing else, my tests show it can be gamed.
Ironically using the webpagetest.org node that is with my hosting provider reveals that 9.3s has a darker cause... it's actually waiting for 7 seconds to load. Back to head scratching.
Patrick Jackson | Melbourne Australia | Certified Joomla Administrator
kps.fyi/pj
volunteers.joomla.org/joomlers/213-patrick-jackson
Australian Joomla Community: joomla.org.au/get-help

Page speed tests 2 months 3 weeks ago #8757

• buipy001
  • buipy001's Avatar Topic Author
  • Peter Bui

That's as good as it will get I think with Recaptcha, tag manager, analytics and Hotjar all enabled. Conversion rates are not too bad at the moment. Waiting to rank better again.
Peter Bui

The only limitation is your imagination
pbwebdev.com

Twitter: twitter.com/astroboysoup
Facebook: facebook.com/pbwebdev
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozneilau

• Page: