Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a Joomla problem? Post as much detail about it as you can here to see if you can get a solution.

Help others in the community - post your Joomla tips and how-tos here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

JotCache stopped working? 2 weeks 2 days ago #8762

• robertf
  • robertf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi,

I've used JotCache on my Tall And True website from when I launched it in 2017. I also use JCH Optimize on the website.

I was editing articles and deleting and refreshing the cached versions in Components -> JotCache today and I noticed it didn't seem to be caching articles and menu items in the way it's done before. It's just not maintaining cached versions.

I checked the settings and found there were a few things that I've never had right, like having JotMarker as the first plugin and JotCache as the last. I fixed the settings as per the documentation on the JotComponents website but it made no difference. It's as if the cache is clearing itself every 15 minutes or so.

I did update Joomla the other day to 3.9.22, so I thought I'd check to see if there was an updated version of JotCache on the Joomla Extensions website. However, the latest version is 6.2.1 updated in September 2018.

Next, I tried to register an account on the JotComponents website to post a query in their forum. But, CAPTCHA isn't working on their User Registration form.

I have two questions:

1. Has JotCache stopped working for anyone else?

2. Can anyone recommend an alternative to JotCache?

I'm happy to pay for the plugin, but it's got to work with JCH Optimize (for which I pay a yearly subscription) and have reasonable support, so I don't have to go through the same palaver as I've done today (when all I wanted to do was edit a few articles!).

Regards,
Robertf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

JotCache stopped working? 2 weeks 2 days ago #8763

• pjackson
  • Thank you received: 36
I've not used JotCache, so aren't sure what the advantages are over standard Joomla caching. Reading extensions.joomla.org/extension/jotcache/ the few things I need from it are taken care of by other means.

- Regular Labs Cache Cleaner takes care of the autoclean features with the clean cache button. It also has a clean cache on save option you can configure (so as soon as you save it, you clear the cache)
- I use JCH Optimize for site performance as you are too.
- I use Akeeba Admin Tools Pro .htaccess maker for some compression and browser leveraging (vs using JCH optimize htaccess features)

The default cache setting in Global Configuration is 15 min, so that's possibly where your observation comes from.

There's also the Joomla Page Cache plugin that you can look at too which then expands on the standard Joomla caching. docs.joomla.org/Cache#Page_Caching_2 though indicates why you wouldn't use it if you have interactive content.
Patrick Jackson | Melbourne Australia | Certified Joomla Administrator
kps.fyi/pj
volunteers.joomla.org/joomlers/213-patrick-jackson
Australian Joomla Community: joomla.org.au/get-help
The following user(s) said Thank You: robertf

JotCache stopped working? 2 weeks 2 days ago #8764

• robertf
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks, Patrick. The beauty of JotCache is that it extended the standard Joomla cache so that edits to an individual article or menu item could be refreshed.

One of the setup steps for it is to disable the standard Joomla cache, which I'd done, so the 15 default refresh shouldn't affect it. But as you say, it is likely that this is causing my problems. And unfortunately, JotCache hasn't been updated in a while, so perhaps this is the issue!

I will look at your other suggestions, for instance using Regular Labs' plugins. I used and subscribed to Peter's extensions for many years, and I know his work and support is 100% reliable!

Regards, Robertf

JotCache stopped working? 2 weeks 2 days ago #8765

• robertf
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks, Patrick, I will explore your suggestions.

The thing I've liked most about JotCache is the ability to refresh a single or selection of articles in the cache, along with menu items/category blogs.

It's been helpful for me because I can reword something in a piece of writing or fix a typo and refresh the cached copy of it without affecting other articles and items in the cache.

However, your feedback is in line with the feedback I got from JCH when I asked if there was a caching plugin they could recommend I use with JCH Optimize. They said I should use the standard Joomla cache.

I'm going to do a bit more research over the next couple of days. Thanks again for your help, I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards,
Robertf

• Page: